Sholing Development 5-1 Tadley Calleva Reserves

Scorers: Kasper Klausen 40 & 46, Jack Attrill 20, Rory Wood 82, Ryan Farrant 83  / 

Date:  Saturday 14 October 2017 – 3pm kick off – Wyvern League East

Venue: The Universal Stadium

Sholing : Josh Helm, Connor Pearson, Jack Attrill, Mo Aslami (Jack Fisher 50), Duncan Brown [c] (Aaron Whitmarsh 80), Liam Attrill, Kasper Klausen, Ryan Farrant, Rory Wood, Jamie Blackburn, Jamie Staples (Tanaka (TK) Madzvamutse 70) Subs unused: Jordi Bond

Attendance: 36   Referee: Mick Ridge   Man of the Match: Kasper Klausen

Debutant dreams come true for Kasper Klausen as Sholing outclass Tadley Calleva in a thrilling 5-1 triumph at The Universal Stadium.

With Sholing sitting fifth in the Wyvern Combination League East Davison and on the recoups of a 2-1 away defeat to Bashley, this performance surely demonstrated the character of the Sholing side. A 5-1 victory usually spells out dominance however Tadley Calleva didn’t have their shooting boots on for much of the game.

Sholing kicked off in their traditional red and white striped shirts with sheer confidence as little as the first minute saw the ball lobbed up towards Rory Wood but Tadley Calleva’s goalkeeper snatched the ball from under his nose. The early exchanges demonstrated that neither side were playing on the turf to lose this fixture. Suddenly within the next few minutes Tadley Calleva award themselves with the first corner of the contest. The ball swung in dangerously, a split scare for the defence as the ball is hoofed clear from the white tarnished goal line.

A few minutes later Sholing started to show their range of passing up until the point where Sholing’s talisman Jamie Blackburn was brought down needlessly, twenty-five yards away from goal. On this occasion the resulting free kick taken by the gaffer’s son Jamie Blackburn was blazed high and wide over the bar. The game continued to intensify with Sholing receiving a succession of half a dozen corners. The second corner kick in the ongoing cycle landed firmly on top of the crossbar by Jamie Staples, the winger unfortunate by his near miss.

A huge chance then came the way of Tadley Calleva as the Sholing defence was rocked again. Fortunately for the Sholing skipper Duncan Brown, the outstretched Josh Helm was on hand to cease the danger just after the quarter hour mark. Then the deadlock was broken, with twenty minutes played, another corner for Sholing met the leaping head of Jack Attrill. Sholing now leading 1-0. Having to wait twenty minutes of the game to lead, Sholing showed no signs of taking their foot off the gas as they surged forward looking to bolster their advantage. Connor Pearson and Kasper Klausen linking up in stylish fashion. From one of their several exchanges brought an opportunity for Rory Wood. Sadly, his effort was off target.

The visitors finding it hard to spray the ball around were using a traditional route one tactic to try and draw the game level. Josh Helm putting just enough pressure on the Tadley striker as his attempt whistles over the bar. Just five minutes before the interval Sholing breathed a side relief as Jamie Staples’s hard work down the left wing allowed him to whip in an inch perfect cross with his left foot for the debutant Kasper Klausen to delicately stroke the ball home into the keeper’s bottom left corner. Sholing now 2-0 up. No signs of first day nerves for the right sided midfielder. And moments later Klausen picks the ball up from Mo Aslami, dribbles with the ball into a great position where he unleashes a bending right footed shot only for it to hit the bar. Very unlucky. Seconds later the referee checks his watch and blows for the end of the first half. HT: 2-0

Tadley Calleva are first to march onto the field looking optimistic with a big task on their hands if they’re to turn this game on its head. Moments later Sholing stroll out with a swagger to their walk to the far side of the pitch.  At 2-0 the result of the game isn’t concluded. Sholing immediately claim possession of the ball and charge down each blade of grass to earn themselves the first corner of the second half. A stinging shot comes in from Rory Wood which is blocked but only as far as the star man Kasper Klausen who volleys the ball in with conviction.

Tadley Calleva composed themselves, still drove forward with their minds on the goal nestling. A response was nearly executed but only for the rolling ball to trickle Josh Helm’s far post. The efforts of the players in yellow merited a reward but it just wasn’t to be. As this opportunity left their players in disgust. Between the sixtieth and seventy-fifth minutes saw Tadley Calleva expose the tiring defence of Sholing. But as the game was approaching the latter stages, further gaps were appearing in both defences.

It was the home side to capitalise to conclude the match once and for all. On the eighty-second minute substitute Aaron Whitmarsh and Rory Wood complimenting each other to allow the substitute a shot on goal. His effort saved but not too safely as Rory Wood snapped up the loose ball to make it 4-0 with 82 minutes played.

Tadley now despondent concede again as another loose ball inside the penalty area. Tadley’s keeper still sprawled for the moving ball but couldn’t prevent the ball from nestling the net from Ryan Farrant’s effort. The prayers for Tadley were finally answered as Just before the final whistle, the number 8 of Tadley disrupting the showboating in the Sholing defence to lob Josh Helm. FT: 5-1

After the game I caught up with Sholing’s development manager Steve Blackburn:

With a thoroughly deserved victory, the manager was still clear to point out the goal they conceded by saying “You could see the goalkeepers reaction to the goal, the fact is basically our game and we’ve conceded a poor goal”. A triumphant day all round for Sholing but Steve Blackburn still determined to maintain a high level of concentration throughout the 90 minutes.

Match Report by James Taylor

Photos by Debbie Whitmarsh