Highworth1 3Sholing

Scorers : Callum Parsons 90+3 / TJ Cuthbertson 50, Dan Mason 59, Lee Wort 75

Date : Saturday 21st October 2017 - 3pm - Buildbase FA Vase 1st Round

Venue : The Elms

Highworth Town : Matt Bulman, Ryan Stanners, Wayne Turk, Ross Adams [c], Nick Stanley, Dan Drewett, Chris Taylor, Ryan O'Hara, Keiron Gleed, Aysa Corrick, Callum Parsons.  Subs : Tom Cole, Jon Davoile, Joe Williamson, Josh Jones, Gary Aulsberry

Yellow Card : ?
Red Card :
Ross Adams

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, TJ Cuthbertson, Jack Smith, Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Owen Royl, Barry Mason (Owen Roundell 89), Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason (Bradey Norton 73), Lee Wort (Jake Hoole 90+5), Jamie Bulpitt.  Subs not used : Frazer McLean & Jamie Bray

Yellow Card :  Jamie Bulpitt & Jack Smith
Red Card :
Pete Castle

Attendance : 122 (approx 25 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Dan Miller

Referee : Stacey Pearson  Assistants : David Holmes & Donald Russell

Sholing progressed in the FA Vase after a top class performance & clinical finishing saw us defeat the form team in the Country.  Three second half goals from TJ Cuthbertson, Dan Mason & Lee Wort gave the Boatmen reward for a superb performance from the entire team.

Team News : Pete Castle returned to partner Dan Miller at the back. With Marv suspended, Jack Smith was at left back. Kev Brewster was unavailable, so Owen Royl partnered Byron & Bulpitt in midfield, with Barry Mason, Lee Wort, Dan Mason spearheading the attack.  There was a first call-up to the bench for Development squad midfielder, Frazer McLean. Coming into the game, Highworth Town were probably the most inform Step 5 team in the country, top of the Hellenic League with a 100% record and 14 wins in a row in all competitions.

The weather was the main topic of conversation before the match as the remnants of Storm Brian swept across the South. With an open side to the ground from where the very gusty winds were coming, it meant very challenging conditions for the players.  The other talking point for us making our first visit to Highworth was the pronounced slope on the pitch, which went from the stand side, down to the dugout side and also down towards the bottom goal.

Sholing had the wind behind them, kicking up the slope in the first half. Unsurprisingly, the conditions affected the opening of the game as both sides struggled to keep possession, but it was Sholing who did force some early corners. The delivery into the box saw the ball moving all over the place and Highworth were able to clear their lines.  Took until 18 minutes for the first shot on goal as Dan Mason's effort was wind assisted, but that just meant it was swept high over the bar.

Jamie Bulpitt was unfortunate (yet again!) to pick up a yellow card after what looked a regular 50/50 challenge in midfield.  The home side's best moments came from balls down the left channel for Gleed to run onto, but the Sholing back four, helped by the midfield were mopping up everything, leaving the home side without an effort on Gosney's goal.  The strength of the wind was demonstrated when a kick from the hands of the keeper, went about 35 yards, paused in mid-air and was blown back almost all the way back to him.

Sholing had strong claims for a foul, maybe even a penalty, just before half time when Dan Mason went up with the keeper for a bouncing ball on the edge of the box. D-Dan appeared to get there first and he certainly got a whack from the keeper who came out to punch the ball and seemed to get Dan's head, but the referee waved play on.  HT 0-0

Five minutes into the second half and Sholing got the all important opening goal.  Lee Wort chased a long ball into the left hand corner, got in front of the defender and hooked it back across the edge of the penalty area, where the arriving TJ CUTHBERTSON hit it first time from 25 yards and it flew inside the near post.

On 59 minutes, the lead was doubled as Owen Royl put a ball through the middle for Lee Wort to run onto, a defender got his foot to the ball ahead of Worty, but it diverted it into the path of DAN MASON who was aware the keeper was advancing out of his goal and slotted the ball past him and it slowly rolled into the empty net.

Surprisingly for a team with so many wins behind them this season, Highworth's heads seemed to drop. They were still getting short shrift from the Sholing defence, who with a lead to protect, held firm and were more than happy to clear their lines.  Where the Highworth keeper struggled with his clearances in the 1st half, Gosney was firing them out much lower to negate the effects of the wind.   It was from a Gosney kick out that the Boatmen got the killer third goal on 75 mins. The ball fell to Barry Mason, who first time played the ball through to LEE WORT to race clear and as the keeper came out, Worty slotted the ball between his legs and into the net.

The home side's frustration boiled over on 87 minutes as their Captain, Ross Adams, appeared to stamp down with two feet on Byron Mason's leg.  It certainly incensed Pete Castle as the usually mild mannered defender pushed Adams in the chest, who retaliated with a couple of headbutts (see video below). The referee had no option but to show a Red card to Adams and decided that Pete Castle needed to receive one also.

Deep into added time, Highworth got a consolation when Corrick, who was being challenged by Gosney, knocked the ball back to Callum Parsons to knock into an empty net.  It wasn't enough to take the gloss off an excellent team peformance for Sholing, who go into the hat for Monday's second round FA Vase Draw.  FT 1-3

A very happy Dave Diaper said after the game : "Great shift put in by all the boys today.  We came into this game as underdogs, but you should never write the Boatmen off!"

Next Game : Sholing v Folland Sports Reserves - Tuesday 24th Oct 7:45 - Soton Senior Cup
FREE Admission Game : Sholing v Fareham Town - Saturday 28th Oct 3pm - Wessex Prem

Videos by "Your Sport Swindon"

Photos by Keith Legg