Lymington4 2Sholing

Scorers :  Magee 40, 88, Mouland 60, 90+5 / Lewis Kelly 45+2, Dan Mason 81

Date : Saturday 10th October 2015 - 3pm kick off - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Lymington Town : Stuart Williamson, Tom Man, Harrison Weeks, Elliot Cross, Luke Ansell [c], Dave Marsden, Pearce Farren (Ryan Fuller 23), Brad Strickland, Zac Mouland, Nick Magee, Will Tickle (Jake Bockhart 45)  Subs not used: Ben Sullivan, Albert Egboh, Stuart Kenna

Yellow Card :  Farren, Tickle, Ansell, Magee, Williamson, Fuller, Cross

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Owen Roundell, James Davis, Jack Smith, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Marv McLean, Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Lewis Kelly (Barry Mason 76), Dan Dove (Breon Graham 81)  Subs not used: Victor Odeyemi, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card :  Jamie Bulpitt, Jack Smith

Attendance : 80 (25 Sholing Fans)

Man of the Match : Dan Dove

Referee : Chris Arkless  Assistants: Stephen McGee & Alan Dawkins

Boatmen's 9 game unbeaten run came to an end in a scrappy match that will be more remembered for the officiating than the football. Chris Arkless collected nine bookings (two for Sholing and seven for Lymington) and add to his "impressive" tally of 20 bookings in his previous three matches.

Team News: Dean Faithfull was suspended, Kev Brewster was at a wedding, Alex Sawyer was injured and Pete Castle still absent with a long term injury.  Ryan Gosney passed a fitness test, but still seemed to be struggling during his warm-up.

In a half that both teams struggled for chances, the first heart in mouth moment came when Zac Mouland worked an opening which Ryan Gosney almost spilled. The ‘keeper recovered though, and held the ball to start a break from which Dan Mason almost scored when he got to the ball ahead of the keeper, but lifted his chip wide.

Indeed the power of Dan Mason and the pace of Lewis Kelly looked potentially lethal, but the side struggled to create any clear chances. It came as no surprise then, when then first goal came in fortuitous circumstances. Following a pass-back, Gosney was put immediately under pressure and sliced a left-footed clearance straight to Nick Magee to fire the ball into the unguarded net.

The goal seemed to shake Sholing into life, and the final five minutes of the first half had a wildly competitive edge. A crunching tackle saw Lymingtons Will Tickle removed from play for the closing moments of the half.

And the Boatmen took full advantage of the extra man. Dan Dove floated from midfield to the left side and he fed the ball to James Davis on the overlap and his cross was clinically stabbed home from 10 yards by LEWIS KELLY for his third goal of the season. HT 1-1

For whatever reason, we had a 20 minute half time break, but finally the home side and the officials ambled onto the pitch where the Sholing team had been waiting for 5 minutes. We finally got the second half underway and should have scored straight away when Dan Mason was played in on the left side, the keeper came out, but Dan's side footed shot rolled just wide of the far post.  4 minutes later and it was an almost carbon copy, this time Dan Dove fed his namesake and the league's leading scorer drew the keeper, but once again, his measured effort went inches wide.

With their first shot of the half, Lymington went ahead. Zac Mouland, who completed an intricate passage of play from the home side, found space to the left of the Sholing goal, his shot didn't look that powerful, but it somehow found it's way in at the near post past Gosney.

Sholing were able to find an equaliser with ten minutes left. Jamie Bulpitt put Marv McLean through and his prodded effort rolled past the keeper and towards the far post where DAN MASON was on hand to knock it in whilst being challenged and colliding with the upright.  Sholing went looking for the winner and for about the 6th time in the match, had a one-on-one with the keeper when Marv twisted into the box, he tried to get the ball onto his right side, but was closed down as he shot.

It looked like Sholing were the only team who would now go on and win the game, but we were wrong as Lymington went back in front on 88 minutes.  Nick Magee drifted to the right hand side of the area before smashing the ball with pinpoint accuracy into the far top corner from 25 yards. As Sholing pushed everyone forward to salvage a deserved draw the sucker punch came. A Lymington clearance fell to Mouland, and with a well-advanced Gosney trapped in no-mans land the forward was able to go around the ‘keeper and curl the ball into an empty net from 30 yards. FT 4-2

Report by Ollie Harvey

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)