Sholing2 1Fawley

Scorers :  Dan Mason 11 & 13  /  Damien Davies 6

Date : Friday 21st August 2015 - 7:45pm kick off - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Dean Faithfull (Lewis Kelly 75), James Davis (Tobi Adekunle 62), Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Alex Sawyer, Barry Mason, Kevin Brewster Dan Mason, Byron Mason [c], Marvin McLean.  Subs not used: Owen Roundell, Jordan Brookes, Jack Shiner

Yellow Card : James Davis, Tobi Adekunle

Fawley AFC : Michael Edgar, Peter Keating, Matt Hawkins, Dayne Sayce, Chris Lucas, Aaron Lucas, Zac Willis (Jack Keen 71), Damien Davies, Dylan Knight (Roy Johnson 75), Callum Tanner[c], George Pooley. Subs not used: Charlie Willett, Callum Chugg

Yellow Card :

Attendance : 108

Man of the Match : Dan Mason

Referee : Brian Channing  Assistants:  David Partner & Huw Evans

Friday night, 48 hours after the monsoon we endured against Newport, Sholing basked in warm summer sunshine with the pitch looking like a billiard table. Two stunning strikes by Dan Mason made it three wins inside 6 days for the Boatmen.

Team News: Dave Diaper made a mad dash from the Airport to take up his place in the dugout for the first time this season. Peter Castle lined up for his 100th appearance for the Boatmen. Dan Miller returned to the team and both Barry Mason and James Davis recovered from their midweek knocks. However Jack Smith was again forced to sit out the game. Jamie Bulpitt was rested and Dean Faithfull stepped in at fullback with Kevin Brewster strengthening the midfield.

The match started in brilliant sunshine and Sholing started with Dan Miller rising above the Fawley defence but his header nestled into keeper Edgar’s side netting after eighty seconds. Sholing were knocking the ball around comfortably and all the players keeping the ball away from Fawley, but on 6 minutes, the visitors took a shock lead. Fawley made tracks down Sholing’s left flank but the cross into the area was hit behind the attacking forward line but Damien Davies following up to his shot from outside the area and Peter Castle stuck out a right foot deflecting the ball past a stranded Ryan Gosney in the Sholing goal. 

Moments later Barry Mason’s rasping shot was deflected for a corner. Then the three brothers linked up well with Dan Mason having his shot well saved by the young Michael Edgar in the Fawley goal. On 11 minutes Sholing were rewarded for their pressure when skipper Byron Mason got down the right flank and crossed for younger brother DAN MASON to hit an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.  Then two minutes later, D-Dan was again the hero when Sholing intercepted a ball in midfield and Alex Sawyer fed DAN MASON central on the edge of the area and he again buried the ball into the Fawley net. 3 minutes later he nearly wrapped up a quick-fire hattrick but his shot was just inches over the bar.

Sholing continued to press forward and were well in control keeping Fawley at bay. Meanwhile at the other end, the Boatmen looked to take advantage of the Fawley keepers lack of height at set pieces.  Dan Miller just failed to connect with his head at the far post and once again Dan Mason failed to collect his hattrick when his shot just went wide. James Davis and Marvin McLean were continuing to cause Fawley trouble down the left flank. On forty minutes Pete Castle almost capped his 100th appearance for the boatmen with a trademark header from Kevin Brewster’s corner but his effort went just over the bar.  HT 2-1

The half time break had an effect on the game, with Fawley upping their game and Sholing allowing them to play the ball around. Captain Callum Tanner was leading their assault for an equaliser but Pete Castle and Dan Miller were resilient and thwarted Fawley’s chances. The visitors were playing with a lot of energy and knocking it around well, but despite a few corners and crosses into the box, they couldn't force Gosney into a serious save. On sixty minutes Sholing created their first effort of the half but Dan Mason was once again denied by Edgar in the Fawley goal.

On 62 minutes Dave Diaper made his first change brining on fresh legs with Tobi Adekunle replacing Marvin McLean. This seemed to curb Fawley’s early dominance and Sholing began to turn the game around. In the 68th minute the first yellow card was shown by referee Channing, it appeared that James Davis was being fouled but it was in fact Davis that was penalised on the edge of the box and he kicked the ball away in frustration.

In the 71st minute Tobi hit a low skidding shot from outside the box on the angle and flew past the keeper and into the far corner. However, the change in the offside law denied him as Byron Mason was deemed to be offside despite trying to get out of the way of the shot and the Fawley keeper being already down on the ground as the effort went past him.

Barry Mason got in behind the defence, but his shot was saved by Edgar’s feet, loops up and goes just wide of the post for a corner.  With eight minutes remaining Tobi Adekunle received the second caution of the game for a foul. On 84 minutes Byron stooped down at the near post to flick a header that somehow flashed across goal and inches wide, evading the on-rushing Pete Castle in the process. Just before the final whistle, Lewis Kelly found space in behind, but his shot towards the far post, curled agonisingly wide. FT 2-1

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)