Sholing1 2Evesham

Scorers : TJ Cuthbertson 90+2 / Taylor Morrison 30, Lee Chilton 45+2 (pen)

Date: Sunday 1st September 2019 - 3:00pm - Betvictor Southern League South Division One

Venue: Mackoy Stadium


Sholing: Declan McCarthy, TJ Cuthbertson, Marv McLean, Dean Faithfull (Alex Sawyer 42), Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt (James Lauder 62), Jack Nicholas (Brad Targett 53), Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Jake Hoole, Owen Roundell. Unused subs : Marlon Mason & Owen Royl

Yellow Cards:

Evesham United: Lochlan Robertson, Aaron Roberts, Taylor Morrison, Ryan Paddock, Bradley Maslen-Jones, Jack Cresswell, Brian Smikle, Daniele Bragoli [c], Kai Tonge (Dave Reynolds 62), Lee Chilton (Mark Magee 78), Jordan Sangha (Joe O'Neil 73). Unused subs : Jack Till & Adam Page

Yellow Cards: Aaron Roberts

Attendance: 175

Referee: Lewis Sandoe  Assistants: Jordan McRitchie & Thomas Copping

Boatmen were left counting the cost of missed chances as they slipped to defeat against Evesham Town. The damage was done in the first half as Sholing conceded twice.  They rallied in the second half, but a stoppage time goal ended up being just a consolation.

Team News: Sholing made 3 changes from the Thatcham game with Jamie Bulpitt returning from injury. Jack Nicholas was recalled with both Alex Sawyer & Bradley Targett dropping to the bench. Ryan Gosney was unavailable, so Declan McCarthy, dual signed from Alresford Town, returned for his 2nd spell for The Boatmen. Declan's first spell was in 2014/15 when he was a midfielder, before transforming himself into a talented goalkeeper. Evesham United had Bristol City loanee Lochlan Robertson in their goal.


In sunny conditions, the visitors started the brighter, pushing Sholing back and forcing a succession of corners, but nothing to trouble McCarthy in goal.  Evesham continued to look neater on the ball than the Boatmen, but it was the home side who had the first shot on target on 17 minutes. Following good play from Jamie Bulpitt, Dan Mason worked space for himself, but then fired straight at the keeper’s legs when well placed. Captain Byron Mason then blazed over the bar from 15 yards after being set up by his younger brother.

Sholing continued to look vulnerable to the pace & movement of the Evesham front three. Their combination of pace and height forced a number of corners, as well as a couple of chances from Kai Tonge who had pot-shots from distance fly high and wide of Declan McCarthy’s goal. This period of pressure ended with a goal on the half hour for the visitors as a spell of possession and missed Sholing tackles created space for Evesham left back Taylor Morrison to run unchecked from the half way line, latch onto a one-two and coolly slot home at the near post.

Dean Faithfull was substituted due to a calf injury, which led to a Sholing defensive reshuffle with Owen Roundell moving next to Dan Miller at the back. The game then had two key moments in the space of a minute as firstly the Boatmen created their best chance of the first half when Dan Mason used his strength and skill to get space in the box and get off a shot that beat the keeper and seemed destined for the net until it thudded off the post.  Immediately, Evesham went on a counterattack down the other end and won a penalty after a clumsy tackle by Alex Sawyer. Lee Chilton stepped up and sent Declan McCarthy the wrong way to double the visitor’s lead.  HT: 0-2


The second half began with the away side dominating possession and having a few half shots that were straight at Declan McCarthy. Evesham seemed to be winning every loose ball in the midfield and were able to keep hold of it better than the home team who just weren't clicking in the opposition half.

Eight minutes into the second half Sholing made their second substitution with Jack Nicholas being replaced by Bradley Targett.  

The Boatmen seemed to come life around the hour mark through a succession of corners, with the third one swung under the crossbar by Sawyer and tipped over by the keeper.  Annoyingly for Sholing, a goal kick was awarded. Jake Hoole then went close with his low shot from the edge of the box that just bent away from the far post.  Dan Mason turned his marker to fire goalwards, but a good block by the defender denied him hitting the target.

Fresh midfield legs just after the hour saw Jamie Bulpitt being replaced by James Lauder for Sholing’s final change this saw little change in proceedings until the 83rd minute when Sholing won a corner. Dan Miller rose highest and forced a diving save by Lachlan Robertson, with striker Dan Mason firing over the rebound from close range with the goal gaping.

As Sholing pushed everyone forward, Evesham had a couple of opportunities to put the game beyond doubt in the final moments, but couldn't capitalise and two minutes into added time, the Boatmen had the ball in the back of the net. A foul gave the Boatmen a free-kick just outside the penalty area, which TJ CUTHBERTSON struck towards goal. The ball took a big deflection off the wall that wrong footed the keeper and nestled into opposite corner the ball was intended for.  Despite pushing all eleven men forward and goalkeeper Declan McCarthy playing as a temporary left winger for the Boatmen, it was too little too late for the home side who fell to their third defeat in four games so far this season. FT: 1-2

Report by Connor Steel

Next Game : Highworth Town v Sholing - Wednesday 4 September 7:45pm - Southern League South Div 1