Sholing3 0NewMilton

Scorers :  Dan Mason 3 (pen) & 76,  Nick Yeomans 58

Date : Tuesday 18th October 2016 - 7:45pm - Russell Cotes Cup 1st Round

Venue : Universal Stadium

Sholing: Josh Milsom, Kevin Brewster (Corey Cherrett 66), Owen Royl, Kieran Winman, Dan Miller (Jamie Bulpitt 26), Alex Sawyer, Barry Mason, Zac Mouland (Nick Yeomans 45), Dan Mason, Byron Mason [c], Jake Hoole. Subs not used: Marvin McLean & Pete Castle

Yellow Card : Kieran Winman

New Milton Town: Kieran Burgess, Mikhail Carrington, Ollie Peckham, Danny Lenthail, Ashley Harris [c], Ollie Bennett, Dominic Falco, Adam Louka, Joe Bennett, Ollie Wells, Sergio Osorio. Subs: Stu Olgivie & Craig Poole

Yellow Card : Ollie Bennett & Joe Bennett

Attendance : 55

Man of the Match : Jake Hoole

Referee: Paul Sanderson  Assistants: Adrian Cook & James Byng

Sholing extended their unbeaten run to 12 games in all competitions with a comfortable 3-0 win over New Milton Town in the Russell Cotes Cup at the Universal Stadium. The Boatmen cruised through to this weekend’s second round draw, controlling the game from start to finish, against the Wessex Division One outfit who had their keeper to thank for keeping the score respectable.

Team News: Dave Diaper made four changes to the starting XI that came from behind to draw 1-1 with Team Solent at Test Park on Saturday. With Ryan Gosney away and Jordan Brooks struggling with a hip problem, goalkeeper Josh Milsom stepped in for his Sholing debut. Marvin McLean, Jamie Bulpitt and Pete Castle all dropped to the bench. Zac Mouland, Owen Royl and Kieran Winman returned to the starting line-up.


The home side made a bright start under the floodlights at the Universal Stadium. Dan Mason sent Jake Hoole clean through with a clever flick. Just as Hoole was preparing to shoot, the forward was brought down from behind. Referee Paul Sanderson showed no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.

DAN MASON, who had a first-half penalty saved at Team Solent on Saturday, confidently swept the ball into the bottom left corner, sending goalkeeper Kieran Burgess the wrong way, after just 2 minutes and 46 seconds.

Sholing controlled the game and dominated first-half possession, but created little in the first 20 minutes. Alex Sawyer produced a comfortable save from Kieran Burgess with a 20-yard low drive.

The visitors had their first attempt on goal on 20 minutes, but Ollie Peckham failed to test debutant goalkeeper Josh Milsom from 25 yards.

The Boatmen lost Dan Miller to a facial injury midway through the first half. The centre-back took an elbow to the face when challenging for a header. The defender was replaced by Jamie Bulpitt on 26 minutes, with skipper Byron Mason dropping into the back four.

Sholing continued to dictate the pace of the game, with right-back Kevin Brewster’s set-pieces proving a problem for the New Milton defence.

First, Dan Mason’s powerful header from the defender’s out-swinging corner was headed off the line by Sergio Osorio. Then, Brewster himself produced a smart stop from Burgess with a 25-yard free-kick.

On 37 minutes Sholing defender Kieran Winman was cautioned for bringing down Joe Bennett as New Milton broke away at pace, but the resulting free-kick came to nothing.

At the other end, Brewster forced a superb save from Burgess in first-half stoppage-time. Moments later Barry Mason headed the right-back’s cross harmlessly over. HT 1-0

Nick Yeomans replaced Zac Mouland at half-time and the home side started the second half on the front foot, with Hoole firing over from 25-yards after some encouraging build-up play.

However, New Milton recovered from their slow start to the second period and sloppy play from Sholing presented the visitors with their best chance of the game, with goalkeeper Josh Milsom finally being called into action. Byron Mason lost possession on the halfway line, then Kieran Winman’s poor back-pass was intercepted by Adam Louka, but Milsom raced off his line and timed his sliding tackle to perfection.

Sholing were exposed at the back again, as Dominic Falco played in Ollie Wells, whose fierce shot blazed just over the crossbar.

On 57 minutes, New Milton’s Ollie Bennett was cautioned for clipping Hoole from behind as the Boatmen countered at pace.

Brewster produced an outstanding save from Burgess with the resulting free-kick. The goalkeeper was somehow able to scramble across his goal to turn the ball behind for a corner, from which Sholing scored their second. Brewster’s in-swinger from the left was met by an unmarked NICK YEOMANS. The substitute headed past Burgess from 6 yards for his second goal of the season.


Sholing, now in total control, were playing with a freedom and intensity that was proving too much for their lower league opponents, with New Milton’s defence starting to tire and make careless mistakes. Dan Mason found himself through on goal, but couldn't beat Burgess, who produced another fine save.

The goalkeeper made another smart stop to deny substitute Jamie Bulpitt from close range, who had been set up by a cheeky backheel by D-Dan. Then Barry Mason tried his luck from 25-yards, but his shot sailed just over the crossbar. Sholing continued to threaten, but Burgess was in inspired form, thwarting Barry Mason from close range.

Eventually, on 76 minutes DAN MASON put the result beyond doubt with his second goal of the game and 17th of the season. The striker showed the control and composure his earlier finished had lacked, he nodded the ball forward in the left channel and as Burgess came out, he sidefooted across him and into the bottom corner to seal Sholing’s place in the second round. FT 3-0

Report by George Brooks

Next Game : Sholing v Buckland Athletic - FA Vase - Saturday 22nd October 3pm
FREE Admission for all spectators for our home game v Brockenhurst on Saturday 5th November 3pm