Petersfield Town Reserves 0-8 Sholing Development

Scorers: Rory Wood 14, 35, 42, Jake Hoole 83, 84, Jack Attrill 45+1, Ryan Farrant 50, Marlon Mason 78

Date: Wednesday 30th August 2017 – 19:45 pm kick off – Wyvern Combination East Division

Venue: Love Lane

Petersfield : Alfie Morel, Elliott Spencer, Ben Small, Ashley Donald (Jordan Geddes 60), Mike Essai, Kayode Balogun [c], Jarvis Balogun, Matthew Malin, George Burns, Will Codling (Paul Widger 72), Sean Barnes. Sub not used: Dan Mortimer

Yellow Card: Matthew Malin

Sholing : Aaron Whitmarsh, Jean-Luc Ramdin, Jack Attrill, Harvey Craig, Duncan Brown [c], Cameron Ross, Tanaka Madzvamutse (Marlon Mason 66), Ryan Farrant, Rory Wood (Fraser McLean 76), Jamie Blackburn, Jamie Staples (Jake Hoole 45)  Sub not used: Harry Butler

Yellow Card: None

Attendance: 34   Referee: Paul Hicks

Man of the Match: Ryan Farrant

Sholing's development side made it a "GR-EIGHT" night at Love Lane with a big win. Sholing played a high intensity game that the Rams had no answer too. Rory Wood continued his goal trail hitting his first hattrick for the Boatmen. The Subs also played their part with Jake Hoole grabbing a brace and Marlon Mason finding the net. Jack Attrill scored along with a first goal for Ryan Farrant

Team News: Yet again Sholing had a changed line up with players working and away. Steve Blackburn had to make a late change to the line-up with Jake Hoole stuck in traffic Jamie Staples moved up from the bench. Ryan Farrant replaced the unavailable Callum Waughman and Harry Butler returned to be on the bench.  

The game was watched by a crowd mainly made up of Sholing supporters. Petersfield despite their lowly place in the table almost got off to the perfect start when a poor back pass by Tanaka (TK) Madzvamutse was eventually blocked by Jean-Luc Ramdin. Skipper Duncan Brown fouled Will Codling and Aaron Whitmarsh comfortably saved Sean Barnes free kick. The next chance fell to George Burns but the striker put his header wide without troubling Aaron Whitmarsh. After five minutes play Sholing took charge of the game with TK & Jean-Luc causing Ben Small plenty of trouble on the right with their pacey runs. Sholing’s first effort fell to the equally lively Jamie Staples whose left foot shot was saved by Morel in the Petersfield goal. TK was fouled by Essai and Jamie Blackburn’s free kick was saved by Morel. Inter play between Ryan Farrant, TK & Jean-Luc resulted in another corner. Jamie Staples corner was planted right on the keeper were panic ensued and the Petersfield defence managed to scramble the ball away. Again it was the Sholing midfield that was applying the pressure with a long ball over the top to Jamie Staples beating the offside trap but the winger over hit his cross to Jean-Luc who failed to connect with the cross.

On fourteen minutes Sholing got the opening goal when Ryan Farrant & Jamie Blackburn worked the ball for Ryan Farrant to put Rory Wood through and the striker calmly lobbed the onrushing Morel. Three minutes later a heavy tackle on Ryan Farrant resulting in the ball falling to Jean-Luc but referee Paul Hicks halted play to caution Matthew Malin. From the resulting free kick taken by Jamie Blackburn Captain Duncan Brown headed wide. Again Sholing won another corner through good inter play between Rory Wood & jean-Luc but Morel was deemed to be fouled from the kick. On twenty three minutes Sholing were denied a second goal when TK’s shot was blocked and fell to Jamie Blackburn whose shot was blocked on line by Ben Small. Again it was TK & Jean-Luc causing the trouble TK was fouled Jean-Luc’s free kick was blocked but he collected the rebound and teased the defender but he put his effort just over the bar much to Morel’s relief.

On thirty two minutes Rory Wood thought he had his second goal when he was allowed to twist and turn and his strike just went wide of the upright. Three minutes later Sholing were rewarded for their effort with a second goal. Jean-Luc throw in found TK who played the ball back to Jean-Luc who in turn found Rory Wood who beat Morel in the Petersfield goal. A minute later there was a concern when Rory Wood went down with no one near him but recovered after some treatment. Five minutes before half time a scare at the Sholing end when Jamie Staples under hit his back pass but George Burns failed to trouble Aaron Whitmarsh. Two minutes later Rory Wood completed his first Sholing hattrick thanks to the link up play between TK & Jean-Luc. Jamie Blackburn set up Ryan Farrant but he failed to test the keeper. With the game in stoppage time a quick throw in found Jamie Staples who was fouled by Elliott Spencer, Jamie Staples took the free kick which was scrambled away to Jean-Luc whose cross picked out Jack Attrill to put Sholing four up. HT: 0-4

Jake Hoole replaced Jamie Staples at the beginning of the half. Jack Attrill played in Jake Hoole but the winger’s cross eluded everyone. Jake Hoole continued to trouble the Petersfield defence and on fifty minutes his corner was met by skipper Duncan Brown but his goal bound header was deflected into the net by Ryan Farrant. Eight minutes later Jake Hoole fails to find the net with header from Jean-Luc’s cross. On sixty minutes Dan Mortimer made his first change taking off Ashley Donald and replacing him with Jordan Geddes.

Six minutes later Steve Blackburn rested TK and replaced him with Marlon Mason. Sholing were still looking for a sixth goal on seventy two minutes when Aaron Whitmarsh found Cameron Ross who worked the ball through to Ryan Farrant then he picked out Rory Wood, looking for his fourth goal, chipped the keeper but the ball went wide of Morel’s goal. Four minutes later Rory Wood’s match was completed when the striker was replaced by Fraser McLean. Two minutes later Sholing grabbed their sixth goal when Marlon Mason finished off his own jinking run.

Sholing continued to dominate the game and Ryan Farrant evaded a tackle and set up Jake Hoole on eight one minutes but the winger failed to connect with the ball. However two minutes later he had grabbed himself a brace. On eighty three minutes Cameron Ross played in Jake Hoole who drew keeper Morel and calmly tucked the ball around him. Next it was Fraser McLean who picked out Jake Hoole for his second goal in sixty seconds. Sholing continued to go in search of more goals with the clock ticking down but Petersfield managed to deal with Jean-Luc’s & Marlon’s efforts.  FT 0-8

Steve Blackburn post-match “Tonight the boys played well as an all- round unit and everyone played their part. It is pleasing to have a good squad of player despite we know we will lose Jean-Luc & Jake to the first team Saturday as well as Marlon away at a wedding. Saturday will be a tough game at home to Gosport who tonight beat Fareham and now sit top of the table with four wins from four. So let’s move on to Saturday and see how we compete in this tough game ahead of our Soton Senior Cup next Tuesday”.

Report by Greg Dickson

Photos by Debbie Whitmarsh