Hamble0 1Sholing

Scorers : Marv McLean 56

Date: Saturday 24th August 2019 - 3pm - Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

Venue: The Abbey

Hamble Club: Rory Anderson, Barry Mason, Jake Newton, Pete Castle, PJ Mclean [c], Chris Onoufriou, Jordan Raguette, Ryan Wilkins, Nathan Lynch, Charlie Wagstaffe, John McKie.  Subs : Sam Ndlovu, Luke Deacon, Harris Wilson, Harvey Clarke, Ryan Turner, Mike Byrne

Yellow Cards: Sam Ndlovu

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, TJ Cuthbertson, Marv McLean [c], Dean Faithfull, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt (Byron Mason 46), Brad Targett (Marlon Mason 79), Owen Roundell, Dan Mason, Alex Sawyer (Owen Royl 79), Jake Hoole.  Unused subs : Aidan Radford, Michael Okubote, Tobi Falodi.

Yellow Cards:

Attendance: 182

Referee: Tim Godfrey  Assistants: O. Whiting & A. Cook

The day belonged to Marv McLean who became Sholing's all time record appearance holder (651 games) and scored the winner as the Boatmen advanced in the FA Cup.  Marv's thunderbolt on 56 mins was the difference between the teams in another tight local derby, where Sholing retained their unbeaten record against the Monks.

Team News: Brad Targett returned from illness, but Byron was only fit enough to start on the bench.  Hamble had fewer ex-Boatmen in their ranks than in previous games between the two sides, but still 6 players and it was very weird to see Sholing club legends, Barry Mason & Pete Castle lining up against us.  There were so many friends and family connections between the teams, it would fill the match report on it's own, but there couldn't have been many, if any, FA Cup games this weekend that featured a set of brothers as Captains of opposing teams (Marv & PJ), plus of course the Mason brothers.  Coupled with the clubs only being 2 miles apart, it seemed the perfect FA Cup match for the BBC to stream live online, but sadly they went elsewhere.

A good sized crowd were enjoying the sweltering sun, although it did seem to have an effect on the eventual tempo of the match, which needed a couple of drinks breaks for the players.   Sholing had the first chance when Jake Hoole worked a position in the middle of the area, getting off a shot that Anderson blocked, with the ball spinning to Dan Mason, but from a very tight angle, his cut back skimmed off Anderson and was cleared.   Hamble tried their luck from distance a couple of times, but the efforts were straight at Gosney or over the bar. 

Owen Roundell, playing in midfield, saw space open up in front of him as he advanced up the pitch, so decided to let fly with a measured curling effort that went just over.  Brad Targett had a couple of moments of skill on the right flank, to firstly put over a cross that was met by a Sawyer header, that deflected off a defender.  Then Brad chopped into the area and had a dig, but a good sliding block put the ball out of harms way.  HT 0-0

Jamie Bulpitt was replaced for the restart by Byron Mason and the introduction of the club captain did appear to give Sholing more control over the game.  On 56 minutes, the Boatmen took the lead with a fabulous goal.  Nice build up play down the right and through midfield saw the ball played into Dan Mason's feet.  It's normally a position you expect Dan to turn his man and shoot, but he spotted the arriving MARV MCLEAN and layed the ball into this path for Marv to smash a first time unstoppable 18 yard right foot shot past Anderson.

Jake Hoole was up against Barry Mason, playing in a right back position for Hamble and Jake did well to get to the byline and fire the ball into the 6 yard box where it was begging for a tap-in, but no Sholing player was on hand.   Hamble's left winger, Raguette was also looking their most dangerous player and he was involved as Gosney had to pull off an excellent save to tip over a curling shot.

Sholing were being sloppy with possession in the Hamble half, allowing the home side to launch attacks in the final few minutes of the game.  The Monks were to have two big opportunities to force a replay, firstly on 93 minutes when Byrne headed wide from close range.  Then, with the referee adding on 9 minutes, Hamble launched everyone forward with a freekick played in and it was scrambled into the net, but the ref immediately blew for a clear handball by Ndlovu and booked him.   The Boatmen advanced into First Round Qualifying, with the draw being announced on Tuesday.  FT 0-1

Saturday's victory was tinged with sadness, as news came in that long time Sholing supporter, Trevor Lowe, had passed away, aged just 59.  Trevor, a season ticket holder, watched the Boatmen home and away for many years, often with his wife Tina and father Anthony.  The club sends our deepest condolences to Trevor's family.

Next Game : Thatcham Town v Sholing - Monday 26 August 3pm - Southern League South Div 1
Next Home Game : Sholing v Evesham United - SUNDAY 1st September 3pm - Southern League South Div 1

Photos courtesy of Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)