TadleyCalleva1 1Sholing

Scorers : George Hallahan 51 / Dan Mason 71

Date: Tuesday 11th December 2018 - 7:45pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Venue: Barlows Park

Tadley Calleva: Frederick Gee, Shemar Pettet, Kallum Thomas, Andrew Charsley, Tom Walsh, Jake Nicholls [c], Connor Thorne, Luke Neller, Cameron George, George Hallahan (Adam Alliston 77), Sam Hamilton (Mario Nurse 87).  Unused Subs: Aaron Parfitt, Harry Pearson, Callum Bush

Yellow Cards: George Hallahan

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, TJ Cuthbertson, Marv McLean, Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Alex Saywer, Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Lee Wort (Jack Smith 44), Jake Hoole (Owen Royl 5).  Unused Subs: Owen Roundell, Nick O'Donnell

Yellow Cards: Byron Mason

Attendance: 65 (approx 15 Sholing fans)

Referee: Carl Rooney  Assistants: Michael Ridge & David Bowley-Booth

Sholing's 100% league record came to an end at Tadley Calleva, but the Boatmen still remain undefeated after battling back to earn a deserved point.  Dan Mason scored his 34th of the season as Tadley became the first team to take points off the league leaders this season.

Team News: Brad Targett & Kev Brewster were unavailable, but it was the familiar strong squad who made their second visit of the campaign to Barlows Park.  Tadley were without both their leading scorer, Denham and captain & Dallimore.


Game got underway on a chilly evening, but the pitch looked in good nick and two players got a long close up view of it inside the first couple of minutes as a clash of heads between Jake Hoole & a defender ended up with both of them in a heap on the floor and the ref awarding a freekick to Sholing on the edge of the area.  Hoole, couldn't continue, so Owen Royl came on to slot into left back, with Marv pushed forward.  The freekick came to nothing, but on 6 mins, Dan Mason connected well with a volley from TJ's cross, but it went over.  Dan was then denied by the keeper beating away the ball and Gee was soon in action again, doing very well to get down to TJ's right sided shot to tip it round the near post.

Tadley had a good chance to score on 20 minutes when Thorne was released into space in the right channel, but Gosney came off his line quickly to narrow the angle and push away the shot.  The action shifted back to the Tadley penalty area with Marv shooting wide and then he put on the after burners to get to the byline, his cut back into the 6 yard box deflected goalwards off a defender, but to the relief of Tadley, straight into the midrift of the goalie.  On 34 minutes, Byron Mason met a freekick with a downward header, but much to his own frustration, he directed it wide from 8 yards out. Tadley worked an opening on 40 mins, but the finish didn't match the build up as a tame effort was claimed by Gosney. Lee Wort worked space for a shot that again worked the keeper, but it was the striker's last action as he pulled up with an injury, with Jack Smith coming on a minute before the break.  HT 0-0

Tadley rattled the upright 2 minutes after the restart when George ran down the right wing and his fierce angled effort pinged off the outside of the near post.   The home side did take the lead soon after when on 51 minutes a break-away down the right saw the ball switched to George Hallahan in space on the left and his curling effort left Gosney rooted as it found the far bottom corner.  Was almost a carbon copy of the goal Tadley scored against Sholing at the start of the season in the League Cup.  That was a game that Sholing lost and there was a feeling in the air that it might be a similar outcome tonight.  Boatmen pushed forward, but the final ball always seem to find a Tadley defender, who either cleared their lines well, or even scuffed clearances saw the ball manage to avoid a Sholing player in the box.

On 70 minutes after Marv had again cut in from the left, the keeper sliced a clearance to Jack Smith, 35 yards out, he hit it goalwards first time with a looping effort, that dropped just over the crossbar.  Boatmen were pressing Tadley high up the pitch, trying to win back possession and from such pressure, they got an equaliser on 71 minutes.  After winning a freekick 35 yards from goal, the ball was played into the area where Byron went up for the header with two defenders, the ball skidded beyond the far post, but DAN MASON showed his poachers instincts to take a first time prodded effort from a tight angle that slotted between the post and keeper.


Sholing had strong claims for a penalty when Jamie Bulpitt beat the keeper to the jump to head the ball beyond him. Gee clattered into the midfielder without making contact on the ball, but the referee waved away the appeals.   The home side looked happy to sit deep and take as much time as they could out the game to earn a draw.  Sholing were very hungry for the win and continued to push forward for another goal and came close on 83 minutes.  Dan Mason showed great strength and control to hold off two defenders and as ran across the box, his shot back in the direction he came looked to be going in, but Gee diving one way, somehow managed to stretch out a trailing foot to save.  Marv was tormenting Tadley on the left and he sent two defenders for a hot-dog inside the area, but the ball in was cleared. Tadley ran down the clock as Sholing couldn't fashion anymore chances for a late winner, so had to make do with a point, but all things considered, they will take it and move on, still unbeaten after 16 league games (24 if you include the final 8 games of last season).  FT 1-1

Next Game : Sholing v Bemerton Heath - Saturday 15th December 3pm - Wessex Premier