Andover3 1Sholing

Scorers : Liam Gilbert 8, Reece Rusher 25, Zach Glasspool (pen) 45+1  / Byron Mason 29

Date : Saturday 12th August 2017 - 3pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Venue : Portway Stadium

Andover Town : Lloyd Thomas, Liam Hibberd, Joe Wright, Liam Gilbert, Luke Dempsey, McCaulie Stubbs, Reece Rusher (Edu Jimenez), Connor Cocklin, Zach Glasspool, Shane Lock, Jason Silver (Aaron Nesbeth).  Subs not used : Adam Pearson, Mike Gosney, Kieron McHardy

Yellow Card : Cocklin, Glasspool

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, TJ Cuthbertson, Marv McLean, Jack Smith, Dan Miller, Micky Hubbard (Owen Royl 45), Barry Mason (Bradey Norton 63), Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Lee Wort, Jamie Bulpitt (Connor Kelly 70).  Subs not used : Owen Roundell & Jamie Bray

Yellow Card : Lee Wort & Jack Smith

Attendance : 152 (approx 25 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Dan Miller

Referee : Antony Smith   Assistants : Liam Twigg & Edward McKenzie

Bad day at the office for Sholing who were defeated for the first time in the league this season and can have little argument with the result.  Andover were sharper and better on and off the ball as the Boatmen put in a rare lacklustre performance.

Team News : Jack Smith partnered Dan Miller in central defence. Alex Sawyer started the first of his 3 match suspension.

Pitch was in immaculate condition on a warm summer's day as Lee Wort had the first shot on goal on 6 minutes when he connected with a ball into the channel, but the keeper smuggled his effort away for a corner.  The home side scored with their first shot on target on 8 minutes, but it was a thunderbolt from Liam Gilbert who smashed an unstoppable left foot shot from 25 yards past Gosney, who could only watch as it hit the back of the net.

Home team continued to look bright and wasn't long until they extended their lead.  On 25 minutes a nice move exposed gaps in the Sholing midfield, allowing the ball to find Reece Rusher who had time to sweep the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

Boatmen scored on 29 minutes to get themselves back into the game. A corner from Hubbard was met by the heads of both TJ & BYRON MASON at the same time and went through a sea of legs near the line and just over.  The skipper awarded the goal.   The goal didn't interupt the flow of the home side, who continued on top and should have scored on 36 mins when a deep cross was met by free header at the far post, but he put it wide.

In the first minute of added on time, Andover were awarded a penalty.  Jack Smith went to block a shot, his hands were up to protect his face, but the referee pointed to the spot.  Ex-boatmen, Zach Glasspool fired into the roof of the net to end a miserable half for Sholing.  HT 3-1

Second half was lacking of much goal mouth action.  Sholing huffed and puffed, but could only create a couple of chances as Andover seemed content to defend and hit on the break. On 54 minutes the Andover keeper dropped a high ball into the box, it found its way to Byron, but off balance, he couldn't hook it on target.

Sholing were grateful to Marv for an excellent last ditch tackle to deny what looked a certain goal.  Sholing brought on three subs to try to inject some fresh legs, but it didn't change the pattern of the play, as the Boatmen were more hopeful than creative, with far too many passes going astray.   Best move from Sholing saw TJ overlap and put over a good cross that was met by the head of Lee Wort, it beat the keeper, but an Andover player chested it off the line.

Final 15 minutes was a non-event. Andover comfortably saw out the game, with the other ex-boatmen, Luke Dempsey, especially putting in an excellent performance.  FT 3-1

Next Home Game : Sholing v Horndean - Tuesday 15th August 7:45pm - Wessex Premier

Photos courtesy of Ray Routledge