TeamSolent1 3Sholing

Scorers : Tyrell Mitford 28 / Dan Mason 24, Lee Wort 49 (pen), Micky Hubbard 66

Date : Wednesday 3rd May 2017 - 7:30pm - Southampton Senior Cup Final (sponsored by Trophyman)

Venue : St Mary's Stadium, Southampton FC

Team Solent : Banda, Pitts, Thorn (Dacres-Smith 63), Nolan, Olumulyma, Orvis, Butler, Wiseman, Mitford (Sheedy 56), Waller-Lassen, Adekunle (Obeng 69). Unused subs: Black, Webber.

Yellow Card : Wiseman
Red Card : Wiseman

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, TJ Cuthbertson, Marvin McLean, Luke Dempsey, Dan Miller, Micky Hubbard (Owen Royl 82), Jamie Bulpitt, Byron Mason, Dan Mason (Jake Hoole 76), Lee Wort, Zac Mouland (Barry Mason 63) : Subs not used : Kev Brewster, Owen Roundell

Yellow Card :  Luke Dempsey (...or was it!?)

Attendance : 748

Man of the Match : TJ Cuthbertson

Referee : Sean Jenkins  Assistants : Tom Hughes & Paul Scott-Munden  4th Official : Rod Burt

Sholing made it 2 Cups in 3 Days with victory over Team Solent at St Mary's to lift the Southampton Senior Cup for a 9th time.  In an entertaining game, Dan Mason gave the Boatmen the lead before being quickly pegged back by Mitford's equaliser.  Game turned 5 mins into the second half as the Ref awarded Sholing a penalty that Lee Wort scored and then Wiseman was Red carded for Solent. Micky Hubbard killed the game off on 66 mins by firing in the third from distance.

Team News : Micky Hubbard & Luke Dempsey returned to the side and Zac Mouland was selected to give Sholing a front three alongside Dan Mason & Lee Wort.  Sholing were wearing their new change kit after signing a deal with Kappa.

On a chilly night at St Mary's in front of 758 spectators, with the majority backing Sholing, the game got underway on Saints immaculate pitch and it was Team Solent who settled the quicker and went on to dominate the first 20 minutes. Both Waller-Lassen and then Mitford put efforts just wide in the opening exchanges after some good build up play.  Gosney saved a long shot which went straight at him, but a moment later he was beaten by a fierce shot by ex-Boatmen, Tobi Adekunle, but his effort rattled the crossbar.

Zac Mouland had Sholing's first effort on target, but his effort on the stretch was comfortably saved.  Then on 24 mins, once again, DAN MASON showed that if you have a clinical striker, you can change a game that up to that point, you weren't in control of.  After receiving the ball on the edge of the box, Dan turned his man, beat another Solent defender to open up space in the box to smash a low shot across Banda and into the bottom corner for his 45th goal of the season.

Sholing immediately looked a different side, but were then kicking themselves 4 minutes later for gifting Solent the equaliser. Hubbard's wayward pass was seized upon by Waller-Lasson, who nipped the ball past Dan Miller to bear down on goal. As Gosney & Dempsey came across to close him down, he slid the ball to the waiting Tyrell Mitford to tap into the empty net.

Rest of the first half was even and mostly contained in midfield, but Micky Hubbard had a chance to curl an effort towards the far post, but it drifted just wide.  HT 1-1

Sholing restarted the game on the front foot and Dan Mason swept a shot wide of the upright, but a moment later, the Referee, Sean Jenkins,  made a big call to award a penalty.  A cross from the right looked easy for Banda to catch, but he dropped it behind him and it appeared to strike a Solent defender's arm.  As time seemed to stand still and in almost complete silence, the Ref pointed to the spot to spark angry protests by the "Sparks".  After a couple of minutes of waiting, LEE WORT stepped up and fired his spot-kick towards the left of the goal, Banda got a touch, but the ball ricocheted up into the roof of the net.

Jamel Wiseman had been booked for protesting the penalty and continued to argue with the ref after it had been converted.  Jenkins gave him a final chance to walk away, but Wiseman didn't live up to his name and was sent off.

Waller-Lassen tried to drag his team back level as he twisted into the box and let fly with a fierce shot that Gosney did well to palm out of harms way.   Sholing then made their man advantage count, finding space on the big pitch to knock the ball around and despite being the team who only played 2 days before, looked to have more energy in their legs as Team Solent started to wilt.

On 66 minutes the result was pretty match guaranteed when with space and time, MICKY HUBBARD fired a 25 yard low shot that sneaked past Banda and inside the upright.  A goal the watching Charlie Austin enjoyed, who was there supporting his former Poole Town teammate.

The remainder of the game was comfortable for the Boatmen as Team Solent's heads dropped.  Was time for Barry Mason to come on and also two teenagers, Owen Royl & Jake Hoole, to have a taste of playing on the big stage.

The final whistle marked a remarkable 3 days for Sholing, winning two Cups in quick succession.  Byron lifted the trophy and TJ was awarded the Man of the Match by Wayne Shaw.  FT 1-3

Report by Keith Legg

Photos by Ray Routledge (click on an image to enlarge)

Photos Courtesy of our new kit suppliers, SGFG