Sholing1 1Hamble

Scorer : Dan Mason 75 (pen)   /  Coby Wilson 90+4

Date : Tuesday 7th February 2017 - 7:45pm - Sydenhams Wessex League Cup Quarter Final

Venue : Universal Stadium

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Alex Sawyer, Marv McLean, TJ Cuthbertson, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason, Byron Mason [C], Dan Mason, Lee Wort, Jake Hoole. Unused Subs: Zac Mouland, Corey Cherrett, Nick Yeomans, Owen Roundell, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card : TJ Cuthbertson

Hamble Club : Sam Webb (Rory Anderson 61’), Ricky Bull, Matt Troon (Nathan Lynch 78’), Alex Blake, Mick Byrne [C], Craig Shrimpton, Mo Nyang, Danny Cox (Wayne O’Dell 78’), James Thompson, Doug Rowe, Coby Wilson.  Unused subs : Jamie Mansell, Matt Burt

Yellow Card :  Danny Cox, Craig Shrimpton

Attendance : 131

IBS - Sponsors Man of the Match : Jamie Bulpitt

Referee : Pete Lowe  Assistants : Paul Scott-Munden & Rob Linter

Ryan Gosney stole the show in a dramatic penalty shootout win over Hamble Club to see Sholing into the Sydenhams Wessex League Cup semi-finals. An unfortunate slip saw the keeper hand Coby Wilson a late equaliser to cancel out a Dan Mason spot kick, but he then went on to save all three penalties.

Team News : Micky Hubbard & Luke Dempsey were cup-tied, so TJ partnered Miller at the back, with Sawyer at right back and Jake Hoole returned to the side on the wing.  Hamble, who are romping away with the Division 1 title scoring goals for fun, contained a whopping 11 ex-Sholing players in their squad for the night.


On a cold evening Sholing’s leading goal scorer Dan Mason was first to threaten, after some skilful ball juggling he tried an optimistic volley which flew high over the bar.

The Boatmen’s best chances of the opening period then came within 60 seconds of each other, firstly Lee Wort had his effort acrobatically tipped over by Sam Webb after being set up by Jake Hoole. The resulting corner the saw Byron Mason's goal bound header blocked near the line by what looked like Lee Wort.

Visitors Hamble then came into the game with a couple of volleys. Alex Blake saw a well struck half volley go wide, before Ryan Gosney did well to hold on to Craig Shrimpton’s effort.

A few minutes later TJ Cuthbertson then had to make a vital block from Doug Rowe after Ricky Bull dribbled through the Sholing defence and set up the ex-boatman.

Sholing were passing well but weren’t showing the required intensity as the two sides went into half time without too much happening. HT: 0-0

Dave Diaper’s side came out for the second half looking fired up and were playing with a lot more intensity. Jake Hoole was troubling the Hamble defence and forced Sam Webb into a save at his near post.

The Hamble keeper was busy again blocking a Dan Miller header from the resulting corner, but that would be his last meaningful contribution, with an injury forcing him off just past the hour mark. Sam Webb was replaced by Rory Anderson, whilst TJ Cuthbertson was booked for a cynical foul as the home side lost momentum after the stoppage.


Hamble came close to taking the lead when Mo Nyang got in behind the Sholing defence, and Cuthbertson had to react to clear the danger after he lobbed the ball past the onrushing Gosney.  Meanwhile, Dan Mason appealed in vain for a penalty after he appeared to be the meat in the sandwich between two Hamble defenders as he rose for a header at the far post.

The game drifted towards the final 15 minutes when Sholing were given the opportunity to take the lead. Alex Sawyer lobbed in a free kick and Dan Miller found himself dragged to the floor by skipper Byrne in a packed penalty area and referee Pete Lowe pointed to the spot. Before the spot kick could be taken Referee Lowe issued a yellow to Craig Shrimpton for his comments he made and his attempt to delay the spot kick.

DAN MASON stepped up and calmly slotted into the right corner to put Sholing within touching distance of the semi-final in the 75th minute. Goal number 34 of the season for Mason.

Hamble seemed to be running out of ideas and Sholing looked to be the ones more likely to score, Wort drilled the ball into the side netting and Hoole got a back post header all wrong as the Boatmen failed to put the game to bed.

A moment of madness then saw Sholing made to pay for those earlier misses. Deep into stoppage time an over hit through ball seemed to be safely rolling to Ryan Gosney, but the keeper slipped over and fumbled the ball at the feet of Coby Wilson who couldn’t believe his luck as he walked the ball into the empty net. FT: 1-1

The game went to penalties, and what happened next would make you think Gosney wanted a shootout all along!

Lee Wort confidently put Sholing in front before Gosney blocked Doug Rowe’s penalty to his left immediately giving the Boatmen the advantage. Next to step up was TJ Cuthbertson and his cool penalty was a carbon copy of Wort’s whilst Hamble’s second was also saved smartly by Gosney. Barry Mason then made it 3-0.

The final save was the best of the bunch. James Thompson placed an effort low to the left but Gosney went the right way and kept it out with a strong hand, securing victory for the Boatmen.

Tony Seve of Sponsors, IBS, selected Jamie Bulpitt as his MOTMSholing will play either Team Solent or Tadley Calleva in the Semi-Final. FT after Penalties: 1-1 (3-0)

Report by Reece Peecham

Next Home Game : Sholing v Verwood Town - Saturday 3pm - Wessex Premier