Sholing1 1Fawley

Scorers : Dan Mason 54  /  Kieran Roche 70

Date : Saturday 7th January 2017 - 3pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Venue : Universal Stadium

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, Owen Roundell, Luke Dempsey, Dan Miller, Micky Hubbard, Barry Mason, Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Lee Wort, Nick Yeomans (Zac Mouland 46).  Subs not used: Corey Cherrett, Marc Diaper, Pete Castle, Jamie Bray

Yellow Card:  Micky Hubbard

Fawley AFC: Lee Burch, Peter Keating, Matt Hawkins, Steven Green (Matt Spencer 69), Callum Chugg, Toby Cuss (Aaron Lucas 45’), Dan Semmens, Dayne Sayce [c], Kieran Roche, Matthew Smith (Jack Keen 78), Dylan Gain Unused Subs: Aaron Fry

Yellow Card:

Attendance : 88

Man of the Match : Dan Miller

Referee: Mark Bradley  Assistants: Stuart Carter & Nathan Cook

Dan Mason's 30th goal of the season was the only bright spot on a disappointing afternoon at the Universal Stadium that saw the two sides share the points as 4th place Sholing failed to beat a Fawley team that sat 19th before the game.

Team News: Dave Diaper made a few changes from the side that beat Andover. Two were forced upon him with both Marv McLean & Jamie Bulpitt injured. In came Owen Roundell at left back with Barry Mason going into central midfield. Zac Mouland & Corey Cherrett were rested with Kev Brewster & Nick Yeomans starting. After a long lay-off through injury, there was a surprise return to the bench for Pete Castle. Newly signed keeper, Jamie Bray, joined him in the dugout.

An immensely scrappy first period saw minimal chances across both sides, the closest of which however fell to the big man at the back Dan Miller who leapt highest but headed just wide from a corner after 7 minutes.

Fawley's one and only chance of the first half fell to Matthew Smith on 18 minutes, who struck the ball hard and low, only to be denied by Ryan Gosney.

Another Sholing corner came in on the 23rd minute, with Luke Dempsey heading strongly back across goal, his effort was pushed onto the post and the ball pinballed between Lee Wort & the keeper on the line, but despite Sholing's appeals, it hadn't crossed.  Nine mins later Micky Hubbard rifled a shot from 22 yards only to see his effort go a yard wide of the upright.   Sholing were struggling to both keep possession and threaten a very hard working, well organised Fawley team.  HT 0-0

Both teams made half time changes, Nick Yeomans was replaced by Zac Mouland and Fawley brought on Aaron Lucas for Toby Cuss. After an opening half that had minimal chances, it took under 7 minutes for the Boatmen to have their first major chance of the afternoon, Dan Mason had a ball played into him over the Fawley defence only to have his volley saved impressively by keeper Lee Burch.

However, the Fawley back line was finally beaten on 54 minutes as Lee Wort flicked the ball between the Fawley back line for DAN MASON to run through and he placed his shot perfectly across the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner.

Sholing then went again close through Dan Mason, as well as striker partner Lee Wort, who had his looping header agonisingly lift over the crossbar and onto the top of the net. Then on 69 minutes an interchange set up skipper Byron Mason inside the Fawley box only for his fierce shot to just clear Lee Burch’s crossbar. 

But Sholing were still nowhere near their best and to their credit, Fawley stuck at their game plan of quickly closing down & rushing the Boatmen into mistakes.  On 70 minutes the visitors created and took their chance. Kieran Roche sprinted through Sholing’s defence down the right wing and as Gosney came out to narrow the angle, Roche slotted past him.

Fawley's confidence grew and they were the better side in possession, knocking it around, without threatening Sholing at the back, but for long enough to frustrate the Boatmen who continued to make heavy work of going forward.   Too many long balls were mopped up by the impressive Callum Chugg at the back and Sholing set pieces all failed to find the head of a player in red & white.

The referee added on a big chunk of time and in the 95th minute Lee Wort almost snatched a winner, but under pressure, his stabbed shot went wide of the post.  The game ended there with honours even, a frustrating afternoon for Sholing, a fantastic point for Fawley.  FT 1-1

Report by James Rowland

Next game : Lymington v Sholing - Saturday 14th January, 3pm
Next home game : Sholing v Winchester City - Tuesday 17th January, 7:45pm

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)