Fareham1 1Sholing

Scorers :  Simon Woods 90+1  /  Dan Mason 71

Date : Saturday 26th November 2016 - 3pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Venue : Cams Alders

Fareham Town: Karl Watson, Aaron Grimshaw, Drew Smith, Sam Martin [c], George Davis, Stuart Kimber, Reamur Henry, Harry Weeks, Simon Woods, Jap Ripiner.  Subs : Liam Bradbury, Lee McCrombie, Zach Szemis, Leigh Shadbolt & Jake Cooksley

Yellow Card: Jay Ripiner, Zach Szemis

Sholing: Ryan Gosney (Jordan Brooks 55), Corey Cherrett, Owen Royl (Jamie Bulpitt 71), Owen Roundell, Kieran Winman, Alex Sawyer, Marvin McLean, Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason, Zac Mouland, Jake Hoole (Barry Mason 77).  Subs not used: Kevin Brewster & Dan Miller

Yellow Card: Jake Hoole, Dan Mason, Kieran Winman

Attendance : 75 (20 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Byron Mason

Referee: Robert Ablitt  Assistants : Toby Cartledge & Paul Hicks

Despite another wonder goal by Dan Mason, Sholing had to settle for a point after conceding a stoppage time equaliser for the second time this week. 

Team News: Lee Wort was unavailable, but Barry Mason returned to the bench after a month out injured. Jake Hoole started the game on the left wing, with Marv switched to the right flank & Owen Royl at left back.  Jamie Bulpitt was rested as Sholing went back to a 4-4-2 formation.

On a bitterly cold overcast day, the home side took the game to Sholing, starting much brighter and knocking the ball around with pace.  They were especially make using of space down the right wing and from that side they created a good chance on 4 minutes but Gosney stuck out a strong hand to save well from a well struck shot from inside the area.  The pattern of play wasn't to change inside the first 20 minutes as the Boatmen struggled to make head-way going forward with some sloppy passing.  Dave Diaper had to change his formation after only 15 mins as Marv went to left back with Royl going into central midfield.

Fareham had a chance to score on 21 minutes when Gosney was adjudged to have picked up a back-pass from a ball played along the goal line.  The referee placed the ball on the 6 yard box, but as nearly always happens with these freekicks, the mass of bodies on the line was there to block the effort away.

Took until the half hour mark for Sholing to make a meaningful attack as Dan Mason's run into the box was found, he tried to clip it past the onrushing keeper, but Watson was able to smother.  Dan tested the keeper 5 minutes later from a 22 yard freekick as his low shot beat the wall, but was straight at Watson.   Sholing ended a disappointing first half by hitting the post as Zac Mouland took possession off a wandering keeper near the right edge of the box and hooked it back past him towards an empty net, but it bounced slowly off the far post and was cleared.  HT 0-0

There was a very short ripple of excitment around the ground at half time when it transpired that Micky Travers had won the 50/50 draw. Sholing looked more organised after the restart, but were still finding efforts on goal hard to come by.  On 55 minutes Ryan Gosney came out to clear a long ball forward and was caught late.  Gos had to go off injured and was replaced by Jordan Brooks.  Jake Hoole had some rare space to run into on 60 mins and just as it seemed he was getting in on goal, he was chopped down from behind & the Fareham player booked.  Alex Sawyer curled the freekick just wide of the near post with the keeper rooted to his spot.

The game was crying out for a bit of quality and it finally got it on 71 minutes courtesy of a "worldy" by DAN MASON. He collected a long throw 5 yards outside the area, turned and as the ball sat up nicely, lashed a left foot volley that screamed into the top far corner.  Was probably even better than this two similar goals against Portchester & Bashley as this was with his "wrong" foot.  It took Dan to 24 goals this season, drawing him level with Mark Barker as League leading scorer.

Sholing had the lead, but never really looked comfortable with it. Fareham flashed a cross that just missed an outstretched leg and then had a freekick right on the edge of the area that was put over the bar.  Boatmen did have a chance to put the game to bed but Bulpitt's cross was flick headed wide by Zac Mouland.

In the first minute of stoppage time a long switch of play from the Fareham right midfield found Simon Woods running into space in the left channel and as Brooks came out to narrow the angle, Woods did very well to finish past him on the half volley to secure a point for the home team.   On the balance of play, a draw was a fair result.  Disappointing not to get all three for Sholing, but it's 7 unbeaten and we are still second in the League.  FT 1-1

Next Game :  Bemerton Heath v Sholing - Tuesday 29th November 7:45pm - Russell Cotes Cup
Next Home Game : Sholing v Hamworthy Utd - Saturday 3rd December 3pm

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)