Ringwood2 2Sholing

Scorers :  Lee Vint 59, Michael Johnston 90+5  /  Lee Wort 46, Dan Mason 58
Penalties :
Harry Cooper, Nick Patrick  /  Lee Wort, Zac Mouland, Kevin Brewster, Owen Roundell

Date : Tuesday 22nd November 2016 - 7:45pm - Sydenhams Wessex League Cup 3rd Round

Venue : Martin & Co. Stadium

Ringwood Town: Tom Edmonds, Joe Purdue, Ryan Osman, Lee Clarke, Laurence Smith, Michael Johnston [c], Nick Patrick, Harry Cooper, Lee Vint, Peter Richmond-Cole, Matt Steer.  Subs not used: Charlie Pierson, River Smith, Elliott Peck

Yellow Card: Matt Steer

Sholing: Jordan Brooks, Kevin Brewster, Marvin McLean, Owen Roundell, Kieran Winman, Alex Sawyer, Nick Yeomans (Zac Mouland 75), Byron Mason [c], Dan Mason (Jake Hoole 84), Lee Wort, Jamie Bulpitt.  Subs not used: Corey Cherrett, Owen Royl, Ryan Gosney

Yellow Card:

Attendance : 38 (25 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Jordan Brooks

Referee: Bruce Waymark  Assistants : Paul Hicks & Robert Linter

Sholing advanced through to the quarter finals of the Wessex League Cup, albeit via a dramatic penalty shoot-out, thus avoiding a potential banana skin at the hands of the League One side.

Team News: With games coming thick and fast, Dave Diaper used squad rotation again making five changes from Saturday’s narrow win over Whitchurch. Jordan Brooks, Nick Yeomans & Kieran Winman stepped up from the bench and Marvin McLean and Kevin Brewster both returned. Dan Miller was missing with a tight hamstring with Ryan Gosney, Zac Mouland, Owen Royl and Corey Cherrett all dropping to the bench Marlon Mason also travelled as cover.


The crowd of 38 watching on were boosted by 25 travelling Sholing fans. Sholing started the match lively and it was Marvin McLean using his pace down the flanks putting in two telling crosses inside the opening 2 minutes, however the Sholing attackers failed to meet the full backs crosses allowing Lee Clarke and Laurence Smith to scramble the ball away each time.

Sholing were utilising the wings to exploit the Ringwood defence who were playing a tight line. On 12 minutes a ball over the top found Lee Wort, but the forward was adjudged offside. A minute later fellow forward Dan Mason was also caught offside when the ball was played through to him.

Ringwood won their first corner on 21 minutes but failed to penetrate the Sholing defence who cleared the ball easily. Two minutes later Sholing won a free kick and dead ball specialist Kevin Brewster picks out Lee Wort whose volley was easily collected by Tom Edmonds. On 27 Harry Cooper received a lecture from referee Waymark following his foul on Marvin McLean, again it was Kevin Brewster who stepped up but the defender put his kick just wide of Edmonds right hand upright.


With half an hour gone neither goalkeeper had really been tested at this stage. Lee Wort put in fellow striker Dan Mason but again he drew a blank with his shot not hitting the target after thirty six minutes.

A minute later it was Jordan Brooks coming to Sholing’s rescue putting Vint’s low bobbly shot behind for a corner. From the corner Brooks stood strong and collected the corner. On the stroke of half time Tom Edmonds in the Ringwood goal kept the scores level, doing well to push Nick Yeomans flicked effort at the near post over the bar. HT 0-0

Obviously a stern half time team talk had the desired effect and with a number of spectators still seeking warmth in the clubhouse, Sholing took the lead inside sixty seconds of the restart when Kevin Brewster released LEE WORT down the right channel. Wort skipped past the advancing keeper and then turned past the last defender and had time to finish into the corner. The keeper had scrambled back into his 6 yard box, but his touch on the ball wasn't enough to stop it finding the net.  This was just the start the game needed and Sholing then took the game to Ringwood dominating the midfield.


On 56 minutes Sholing should have doubled their lead when a pulsating run by Lee Wort picked out Dan Mason but the striker only found the side netting. However the Boatmen only had to wait two minutes to double their lead when Marvin McLean’s superb floated cross was headed by DAN MASON back past the keeper for the strikers 23rd goal of the campaign. They always say sides at their most dangerous once they have conceded and this proved the point tonight when the home side reduced the deficit less than 60 seconds later. Ringwood broke down the left and the cross was picked out by Lee Vint who struck the ball past Brooks in the Sholing goal.

The game then became an end to end affair, but Sholing were creating enough chances to put the game to bed, with Byron, Wort & Dan Mason all not finding the net when they were well placed to do so.

With 6 minutes remaining Harry Cooper almost equalises for Ringwood however his shot clips the outside of Jordan Brooks upright much to the relief of the Sholing defence. With four minutes of added time played, The game was to take a dramatic twist when Captain Michael Johnston climbed above the Sholing defence to head a hail-mary ball into the box past a flat footed Brooks for a last gasp Ringwood equaliser.  FT: 2-2


Competition rules took the match straight into penalties so the players congregated in the centre circle and first up was Lee Wort who scored with ease, then defender Ryan Osman stepped up but his effort was well saved by Brooks, diving full length to his left. Zac Mouland put the Boatman two nil in front, Harry Cooper scored and then Kevin Brewster scored the Boatmen’s third spot kick.  Nick Patrick scored to reduce the deficit, Owen Roundell drilled the ball past Reynolds, Lee Vint who struck Ringwood’s opening goal, stepped up, but his spot kick was saved by Jordan Brooks low down to his left to see the Boatmen through to the Quarter Finals. Sholing win 4-2 on penalties

Report by Greg Dickson


Next Game :  Fareham Town v Sholing - Saturday 26th November 3pm
Next Home Game : Sholing v Hamworthy Utd - Saturday 3rd December 3pm