Sholing1 0ParkSports

Scorers :  Dan Mason 62

Date : Tuesday 11th October 2016 - 7:45pm - Southampton Senior Cup 2nd Round

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Corey Cherrett (Byron Mason 45), Owen Royl, Pete Castle [C] (Owen Roundell 75), Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Marvin McLean, Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason, Zac Mouland (Nick Yeomans 67), Jake Hoole. Unused Subs: Kevin Brewster, Kieran Winman

Yellow Card : Marv McLean

Park Sports: James Elmore, Danyal Shaw, Wayne Given, Jack Baines (Martin Buck 75), Ash Gardner, Thomas Perry, Roman Williams, Josh Metcalfe [C] (Ian Fowler Jr 60), Ryan Longhurst, Terry Axton, Jack Taylor. Unused Subs: Ant Gardner, Scott Knight

Yellow Card :

Attendance : 60

Man of the Match : Jamie Bulpitt

Referee: Lee Nowacki  Assistants: Mike Misselbrook & Craig Lisher

Sholing progressed to the 3rd round of Southampton Senior Cup despite only Dan Mason’s header separating The Boatmen and Southampton Saturday Premier Division side Park Sports on the night. Stubborn defending and some excellent saves by Park goalkeeper James Elmore, kept the score close at the Universal Stadium. 

It was Sholing's 3rd 1-0 win in a row and 4th consecutive clean sheet.  It's now been 405 minutes since the Boatmen defence was last breached.

Team News : Corey Cherrett made his debut at right back.  Pete Castle was named captain with Barry Mason away on his Birthday and Byron Mason on the bench. With both the 1st team & Development Squad in this competition, that limited Dave Diaper making too many changes as youngsters played in this game, would then be cup tied for the Development Squad game at Botley on Saturday.


Before kick-off there was a minutes silence to mark the passing of SDFA Life Vice President & former Chairman Fred Wiltshire.  It was a quiet opening to the game. Park Sports set up to defend whilst Sholing waited for an opportunity which didn’t come for a while, to the credit of their opponents. The only bit of action from the opening 20 minutes came as the referee Lee Nowacki stopped play and left the field and was forced to put a yellow bib on to avoid clashing with the dark kit of Park.

Perhaps no longer being distracted by referee Lee Nowacki, Park threatened with striker Terry Axton firing a shot from distance which was held well by Ryan Gosney. The half chance woke Sholing up and youngster Jake Hoole tried to create an opening with a mazy run before shooting just wide.

From then on Dave Diaper’s side dominated. Goalkeeper James Elmore was kept busy, first having to stop a deflected cross bouncing over the line before stopping an own goal when a Dan Mason shot was also deflected, this time towards the near post and the goalie did well to get a toe to the ball.

Captain, for the first half, Pete Castle was looking to get on the scoresheet and he had a free kick well blocked as Sholing pushed for a goal. Good link up between Sholing’s strikers saw Dan Mason set up Zac Mouland but he could only shoot straight at Elmore

Hotshot Dan Mason was inches away from giving Sholing the lead twice before the half. His looping header from a corner was finding the bottom corner before Jack Baines volleyed off the line, and minutes later his drilled effort from distance was tipped centimetres wide.  Then Jake Hoole's rising shot from just inside the area was tipped over the bar. HT 0-0


The second half started with all three match officials now in fluorescent yellow bibs to avoid any confusion with Park players, and their first job was to announce the arrival of Byron Mason, the captain for the second half coming on for Corey Cherrett, so Alex Sawyer slotted in at right back.

Sholing continued to push for an opener, with Zac Mouland somehow having a shot tipped over by Elmore. Marv McLean was enjoying himself in a more advanced role chasing up and down the pitch and dribbling past full backs for fun, the only thing missing was a team goal.

Jake Hoole looked to be the hero, firing a good effort from distance just wide, as did Alex Sawyer, before The Boatmen finally made the breakthrough in the 62nd minute.

After a long period of possession where every player surely had a touch of the ball, McLean took on the full back, beat him and from the left side of the area, he crossed a peach of a pass, over the keeper and onto the waiting head of DAN MASON for his 15th of the season.


Winger Jake Hoole found himself in promising positions a lot, especially as he was able to take advantage of a tiring Park defence. He made space for a shot from outside the box which was superbly tipped over by Elmore, and he then had a header bounce wide of the near post.

Ryan Gosney was a virtual spectator, but kept himself warm with a sharp piece of sweeping to deny Ryan Longhurst a chance at goal and that was the closest that Park got to taking the game to extra time on the cold October night.

After controlling the midfield throughout, Jamie Bulpitt tried to make it two with a rocket from about 30 yards out flying just inches over before Dan Mason thought he had a second when his flick header flew past the keeper, against the inside of the post and back into the keeper's arms.

Park Sports gave a very good account of themselves and showed a lot of heart and energy, but The Boatmen saw out the game and head through to the next round of the Southampton Senior Cup. FT 1-0

Report by Reece Peacham

Next Game : Team Solent v Sholing - Saturday 15th October 3pm
Next Home Game : Sholing v New Milton - Tuesday 18th October 7:45pm
FREE Admission for all spectators for our home game v Brockenhurst on Saturday 5th November 3pm