Sholing4 3Hamble

Scorers :  Dan Mason 50, 57, Dan Miller 24, 78 / Ricky Bull 1, James Thomson 42, Dougie Rowe 69

Date : Tuesday 20th September 2016 - 7:45pm - Hampshire Senior Cup 2nd Round

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, Owen Royl (Owen Roundell 60), Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Alex Sawyer (Jamie Bulpitt 78), Marvin McLean, Zac Mouland, Dan Mason (Nick Yeomans 85), Byron Mason [c], Jake Hoole. Subs unused: Marlon Mason, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card : Owen Royl, Alex Sawyer, Owen Roundell

Hamble Club: Rory Anderson, James Vinton (Jamie Mansell 68), Matthew Troon (Nathan Lynch 81), Mike Byrne, Wayne O’Dell (Alex Blake 65), Ricky Bull, Liam Crook [c], James Thomson, Dougie Rowe, Murray Holmes. Subs Unused: Ben Kneller, Danny Cox.

Yellow Card : Matthew Burt, Mike Byrne, Murray Holmes, Jamie Mansell, Ben Kneller

Attendance : 173

Man of the Match : Marv McLean

Referee: Jacob Wright   Assistants: Connor Bowdidge & Daniel Batchelor

A thrilling end-to-end game with seven goals at the Universal Stadium, saw Sholing take victory late on to beat near neighbours Hamble Club. Boatmen fell behind twice in the first half, but fought back to progress into the next round of the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Team News : Owen Royl came back into the starting line up at left back, with Marv pushed forward into this old spot. With Barry on holiday, Jake Hoole swapped flanks to the right.  Hamble contained a host of familiar faces and half a dozen ex-Boatmen in their starting line-up and more on the bench.  A good crowd was on hand to see how the runaway Wessex Division 1 leaders would fare against Sholing.


Hamble started the game strong, and after just after 60 seconds, Ricky Bull found himself free on the right and one on one with Ryan Gosney and coolly slotted the ball into the left hand corner of the net.

For much of the first 20 minutes, Hamble dominated and looked like extending their lead by constantly finding gaps in the Sholing defence.  Owen Royl, who after a clumsy challenge, found himself going into referee Jacob Wright’s book after just 19 minutes.

Sholing started to get themselves back in the game and from their first corner in the 22nd minute, Sholing skipper Byron Mason forced a fantastic save from Hamble’s Rory Anderson who forced Mason’s header behind. From the resulting corner the home side found their equaliser, as the ball somehow found its way to DAN MILLER who smashed the ball against the post and in to make it 1-1 in the 24th minute.


Sholing’s goal seemed to give them momentum as the home side had two close chances in the 30th and 33rd minute from Zac Mouland and Kev Brewster, but they couldn’t take the lead.

After all that pressure it was the away side who took lead in the 42nd as Rory Anderson’s clearance was headed on in the midfield and the ball put striker James Thomson in the clear, who as the ball bounced up, finished with aplomb.

Sholing almost equalised twice once from a Pete Castle header, which was well saved and once from a brilliant effort from Jake Hoole who ran down the right wing, cut in and from outside the box hit an effort that smacked against the top of the bar.  HT 1-2

Boatmen came out with a flea in their ear and Marv McLean did well to get to the byline and pull the ball back to Jake Hoole, but from 6 yards he blazed over.  However, the home side were soon level. Good interplay between Zac Mouland & Jake Hoole down the right saw the ball end up in a scramble on the goal line and DAN MASON was there to force it home.

Sholing looked a different team now and they took the lead for the first time in the game in the 56th minute as Marv McLean, once again roasted the right back down the wing and excellently found DAN MASON in the box who coolly hit a first time, side footed effort from 10 yards, low into the bottom corner.


It seemed that the Boatmen would then go on to score again as Marv was giving the right back twisted blood and set up Sawyer, but his effort was straight down the throat of Rory Anderson. But credit to Hamble Club, they came back to equalise in the 69th minute after another scramble in the box saw ex-Sholing forward, Dougie Rowe get the final touch.

The away side had a big chance to take the lead after being awarded a penalty in the 74th minute after a tussle between Owen Roundell and Mike Byrne result in a yellow card for the Sholing substitute. Dougie Rowe stepped up to take the penalty which was brilliantly saved by Ryan Gosney down to his left.

Just four minutes later in the 78th a corner from Kevin Brewster found the head of towering defender DAN MILLER who bulleted the header into the top corner to once again give Sholing the lead.


Hamble Club hadn’t given up yet though, James Thomson found himself one on one with Ryan Gosney who yet again made a good save to keep the home side in the lead.

A somewhat controversial decision ended the game on a rather angry note for Hamble, as a great block from Byron Mason sent the ball just wide of the open Sholing net, but the referee gave a goal kick in extra time and blew his whistle soon after to end a thrilling match. FT 4-3

Report by Matt Elnor

Next Game : Sholing v Newport IW - Saturday 24th Sept, 3pm