Sholing2 1Cowes

Scorers :  Barry Mason 52, Owen Roundell 82  /  Jared Wetherick 75

Date : Tuesday 9th August 2016 - 7:45pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kieran Winman (Owen Royl 45), Marvin McLean, Owen Roundell Pete Castle, Jack Smith, Barry Mason [c], Kevin Brewster (Nick Yeomans 88), Dan Mason, Zac Mouland, Jamie Bulpitt.  Subs not used : Liam Attrill, Sam Jenman, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card : Zac Mouland, Marv McLean, Jack Smith

Bournemouth : Ed Hatt, James Malcolmson, Leigh Mackenzie (John McKie 63’), Aiden Bryan, Craig Insley [c], Jordan Browne, Nathan Lewis, Jared Wetherick, Dexter Malin, Harry Dye

Yellow Card : Jason Malcolmson

Red Card : Nathan Lewis

Attendance : 78

Man of the Match : Marv McLean

Referee : Krasi Petrov  Assistants: Justyn Leonard & Andrew Bailey

Sholing continued their winning ways after a hard-fought 2-1 victory against Cowes Sports. The win in their first home league match of the season, makes it three victories from as many games in all competitions.

Team News: Zach Glasspool and Dan Miller were still absent through injury although both are not far from being fit. Kevin Brewster, Jack Smith and Jamie Bulpitt all returned to the side whilst captain Byron Mason and Alex Sawyer missed out due to knocks picked up on Friday’s clash against Bournemouth Poppies.

We kicked off at a sun-kissed Universal Stadium 10 minutes late due to Cowes arriving later than scheduled. The first half wasn’t one to remember as Sholing struggled to gain momentum and pose much threat on the Cowes goal during the first 45. Cowes were firmly on top and created the majority of chances, although from their point of view, not enough on target. However, the first clear-cut chance did fall to the home side. A ball over the top fell to Dan Mason. He found himself one on one with the ‘keeper and placed the ball to his right. The ball looked certain to go in but it somehow fell on the wrong side of the post and went out for goal kick.

Sholing were trying to catch Cowes on the counter after the visitors’ constant pressure. However the Boatmen were struggling to get past the defensive line who were comfortable with the balls over the top. 

Cowes should have grabbed the opening goal when Jordan Browne’s header bounced onto the post and was cleared off the line due to hesitant defending from Sholing. The chance coming after the ball was chipped back into the box after a corner had also been cleared.

Both teams continued to cancel each other out as we waited 15 minutes for the next chance. When it came, Barry Mason fired his shot over the bar from the edge of the box. The final action of the half came when the returning Jack Smith also sliced over the bar from the edge of the box. HT 0-0

At half time Sholing made an immediate change in a hope they could lift their first half performance. 16 year-old, Owen Royl, came on for his second senior appearance for the Boatmen, replacing Kieran Winman. He slotted in at left back, which allowed Marvin McLean to push forward down the left. Kevin Brewster dropped into defence at right back, so Sholing switched from 4-3-3 to a more usual 4-4-2.

The change in system seemed to work straight away as Dan Mason found himself behind the defence again after a throw-in by brother Barry. Unfortunately, like the first half, Barry found his effort sail past the post, but this time it was Hatt in goal’s fingertips preventing the striker grabbing the first goal.

After a couple of Sholing corners which didn’t amount to much. The ball was whipped back into the back post where Owen Roundell, on the stretch, tapped the ball wide into the side netting.

The first goal of the night came for the home team and most of the credit must go to 16 year-old Owen Royl. The young full back make a perfectly timed sliding tackle in our own box preventing Cowes a shot on goal. From there he picked up the ball on the half way line and drove down the wing. Cowes tried their best to stop him by attempting to trip him but the ref allowed the move to progress after playing advantage. Marvin McLean then took over and swung a ball to the back post. It eventually fell to skipper BARRY MASON who slammed the ball inside the near post. The keeper got a touch, but it was too powerful to keep out.

Cowes immediately went on the offensive and created two great opportunities to pull level. The first came when Dexter Malin hit a volley on the edge of the box, but fortunately for the boatmen, he didn’t catch it as sweet as he would have liked and Gosney was able to collect the ball with ease. 

The next chance really should have nestled in the back of the net. Midfielder, Jordan Browne, found himself free at the back post. The ball floated was into him and his header went inches wide. A huge let off for Sholing.

Sholing knew they needed a second goal and almost grabbed it when Marvin McLean was sent bursting down the left hand side. He played it into Dan Mason and his shot looked certain to go in this time but Ed Hatt pulled off a tremendous acrobatic save to push it wide. It just wasn’t going to be Dan’s night.

The match took a significant twist on 70 minutes when the ball spun up just over the half way line into the Sholing half. This presented a 50/50 between Jamie Bulpitt and Nathan Lewis. Lewis was judged by referee Petrov to have been reckless and dangerous when entering the tackle as he caught Bulpitt leaving him needing treatment. Petrov presented Lewis with a red card and Cowes were down to 10 men. 

Almost immediately after the sending off McLean came marauding down the left hand side in which he had done so well previously in the match, but this time he was stopped in his tracks and was brought down by Wykes. However, referee Petrov deemed the fullback got the ball and waved play on. Dexter Malin then picked up the ball and sent it over the top to target man Jared Wetherick. He struck the ball on the half volley just inside the Sholing box. He caught it sweetly as it flew over Gosney and into the back of the net. A deserved equaliser after their first half performance. 

Sholing were looking to make the extra man count as they encouraged the full backs to push forward. A foul was awarded on the right wing and Owen Royl stepped up and delivered the ball in. Sholing had an extra man in the box to their opponent and they made it count this time when Jack Smith flicked the ball on and OWEN ROUNDELL was in space 6 yards out to steer the ball into the net. 

Sholing committed some tactical fouls and made a substitution to run down the clock and it worked to their advantage as they saw the game out to win 2-1. The Boatmen were fortunate to gain all three points against the Yachtsmen, but all good teams vying for the top places have to win ugly sometimes. FT 2-1

Match Report by Sam Cox

View from the Stands : Less said about the first half, the better.  Thankfully, the second was more memorable with the tactical change meaning Sholing were able to pass the ball around better and release Marv down the left.  Cowes played well, were quick to close down and looked dangerous going forward.  So, the Boatmen will be relieved to have come away from a tough match with all three points.

Next Game : Fawley V Sholing - Friday 12th August 7:45pm

Photos by Charles Patrick (click an image to enlarge) - Please do not reproduce his images without permission