Bournemouth1 2Sholing

Scorers : Dean Faithfull OG 57 / Owen Roundell 18, Nick Yeomans 90+1

Date : Saturday 20th February 2016 - 3pm - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Bournemouth: Elliot Broome, Fawzi Saadi, Manny Ohamese, Chris Speers, Jon Blake, Luke Ayrton [c], Chia Khider, Connor Doe, Byrce Banfield, Kabba Jack, Elliot Ward.  Subs : Shimi Ami, Edit Alshiqi, Will Lambert, Jack Devaney, Kenny Vaughan.

Yellow Card :  Kabba Jack

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster (Joel Drew 86), Jack Attrill (Dean Faithfull 45), Owen Roundell, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason [c], Jack Smith, Dan Mason (Liam Attrill 45), Nick Yeomans, Jake Hoole. Unused Subs : Alex Sawyer, Lee Webber

Yellow Card :  Jamie Bulpitt

Attendance : 54 (12 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Dan Miller

Referee : Nigel Whitfield  Assistants: Russel Morris & Mark Bradley

SHOLING grabbed our first win of 2016 thanks to a spectacular last minute winner by Nick Yeomans.

Team News : Byron Mason & Marv McLean missed out through injury.  Jack Smith returned to the side & Jake Hoole started on the wing.  Dean Faithfull returned to the bench. 

The match marked Kevin Brewster's 400th appearance for VT/Sholing.

Game started with a strong wind blowing down the length of the pitch towards the goal that Sholing were attacking.  The pitch was clearly heavy with an irregular bounce and didn't look like it had been cut & rolled for a while. Barry Mason had the first effort on goal in the 3rd minute when his snap shot from the edge of the area thumped against the crossbar and back out.

Boatmen thought we'd taken the lead on 8 minutes when a freekick by Kev Brewster evaded everyone and was bundled in at the far post by Owen Roundell.  The ref signalled the goal, no Bournemouth player appealed and everyone was back in the centre circle for the restart when the Ref started speaking to his linesman from the Sholing half (50 yards away), who apparently said Roundell had handled.  The ref changed his decision and gave the home side a freekick.

Thankfully, 10 minutes later Sholing had the lead and from an almost carbon copy of the disallowed goal.  Again, Kev Brewster's freekick found the unmarked OWEN ROUNDELL, who did well to side foot volley his finish from 8 yards high into the net.

Sholing continued to dominate the game and once again, Barry Mason hit the woodwork, this time with an effort after cutting in from the right.   It took the home side 40 minutes to have an effort on goal, but a low shot on the turn went just wide.  HT 0-1

Dave Diaper made a double substitution for the restart. Liam Attrill & Dean Faithfull replaced Jack Attrill & Dan Mason.  Kev Brewster pushed up into midfield.  Very little of note happened at the start of the second half, although with the wind at their backs, the home side were getting forward more and Sholing were struggling to pass the ball on the very bumpy pitch. 

Out of nothing, the Poppies equalised on 57 minutes when an inswinging corner was glanced into his own net by Dean Faithfull. This gave the home team a big lift and suddenly they were finding gaps in the Sholing defence.  Despite being a spectator for most of the game, Ryan Gosney reacted well when Kabba Jack burst through, but he couldn't beat the keeper.  Gos then dealt with a couple of inswinging corners that he cleared from under his crossbar.   Up the other end, Sholing were not troubling the Poppies defence, apart from a corner by Kev Brewster that almost embarrassed the keeper at his near post, but he stopped it going over the line by sitting on it! 

You felt the game was heading towards a draw, so the winner in the 1st minute of added time came not only as a shock for that reason, but the quality of it also. NICK YEOMANS controlled a pass on his thigh and in one movement, 22 yards out in a central position, volleyed the ball over the head of the keeper and in via the underside of the crossbar.  A stunning strike and what a way to win a game.  FT 1-2

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)