Sholing3 6Gosport

Scorers : Nick Yeomans 39, 63, 68 (pen)  /  Ben Harding 16, Liam McDevitt 20, Jamie White 32, Rory Williams 55, George Barker 83 & 90

Date : Wednesday 13th January 2016 - 7:45pm kick off - Russell Cotes Cup Quarter Final

Sholing : Jordan Brooks, Kev Brewster, (Liam Attrill 52), James Davis (Owen Roundell 56), Dean Faithfull, Dan Miller, Jack Smith, Barry Mason [c], Alex Sawyer, Doug Rowe (Jake Hoole 65), Nick Yeomans, Marv McLean. Subs not used: Jack Attrill & Ryan Gosney

Yellow Card : 

Gosport Borough : Nathan Ashmore, Elliot Wheeler, Rory Williams, Andy Robinson (Connor May 57), Ryan Woodford, Sam Pearce [c] (Brett Poate 46), George Barker, Ben Harding, Jamie White, Liam McDevit, Adam Wilde. Subs not used: Mike Carter, TJ Cuthbertson, Justin Bennett

Yellow Card : 

Attendance : 73

Man of the Match : Nick Yeomans

Referee : Antony Foster  Assistants: Andrew Dunn & Alan Dawkins

SHOLING went out of the Russell Cotes Cup in a game of nine goals and a mudbath pitch.

Team News: Byron & Dan Mason missed out through illness, whilst Jamie Bulpitt was suspended and Pete Castle away. Jordan Brooks was given a game in goal, with Gos on the bench.  Gosport had ex-Sholing players Mike "Carts" Carter & TJ "Teej" Cuthbertson on the bench, but still had a very strong line-up from a team sitting 4th in the National League South, 3 leagues above Sholing.

The pitch was bathed in sunshine all day and had looked splendid when it was checked out in the morning, but all that changed as the heavens opened an hour before kick off, so by the time we got underway, there was already standing water in several places.

First chance of the game went to Nick Yeomans who spotted Nathan Ashmore out of his goal and tried a low shot towards the near post, but the keeper slid back to save by the woodwork.  Gosport took the lead on 16 minutes when a corner was half cleared and Ben Harding was able to fire through a crowded goalmouth from 15 yards. The rain continued to fall, but Gosport made light of the worsening pitch by scoring their second on 20 minutes when a cross from the left wing was tapped home by Liam McDevitt.

Incredibly, the rain just got heavier and heavier and the ball was sticking in the surface and large puddles were evident down the wings and in the centre circle.  The visitors seemed to put the game to bed on 32 mins when ex-Saints player, Jamie White found himself all alone in the area and had a simple finish.  The Boatmen didn't let their heads drop and Barry Mason did well to get past his man and put over a perfect cross for NICK YEOMANS to apply the finish in the 6 yard box.   HT 1-3


As always happens it stopped raining for the duration of half time, but then it poured down as soon as we re-started.  Players of both sides were questioning the decision to keep going as the surface deteriorated and the ball was stopping in the mud.  However, we played on and Gosport got their 4th on 55 minutes as Rory Williams played a one-two and finished with aplomb.

NICK YEOMANS then scored the goal of the game on 63 minutes as he picked up the ball on the left corner of the penalty area and whipped in a low curling shot that cannoned off the base of the post and in.  Five minutes later and out of nothing, Sholing were awarded a penalty after a conversation between linesman & referee.  NICK YEOMANS stepped up and dispatched the spot kick to complete his first hat-trick for the club. 

The Boatmen now sniffed a come-back and were looking to expose the Gosport back four with balls over the top and down the channels.  Sometimes the ball skipped on ok, but other times it stopped dead.  One occassion Nick Yeomans looked clean through but the ball plugged and he couldn't dig it out. With 10 minutes to go, Marv Mclean had a great chance, one-on-one with the keeper, but he poked the effort past Ashmore, but just the wrong side of the post.

With many Sholing players visibly out on their feet after an energy sapping game and playing in their first match in a month, Gosport were able to use fresh legs to expose gaps in the defence and George Barker helped himself to two simple goals in the dying moments. FT 3-6

Report by Keith Legg

View from the stands:  Certainly a game to live in the memory, but it was questionable if it should have been called off.  One of those where if there had been a pitch inspection an hour before kick-off, based upon how the pitch was just 10 mins into the game... it wouldn't have passed an inspection.   But both teams soldiered on and to their credit put on an entertaining match for the hardy souls watching on.

Great for Nick Yeomans to get his first hat-trick just days after Dave Diaper had made the point in the Echo about Sholing looking to blood younger players from within the club instead of bringing in experienced players from elsewhere.   Hopefully the pitch will recover in time for Saturday, but it will be touch & go.  Thanks to our volunteers last night and for Dave Bell for helping get some stuck cars out the car park!

Next home game is on Saturday 16th v Lymington Town, 3pm