Sholing3 0Verwood

Scorers :  Alex Sawyer 2, Kevin Brewster 42, Barry Mason 67

Date : Wednesday 16th December 2015 - 7:45pm kick off - Sydenhams Wessex Cup 3rd Round

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster (Liam Attrill 80), James Davis, Owen Roundell, Dean Faithfull, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason [c], Alex Sawyer (Joel Drew 75), Dan Mason, Nick Yeomans, Marvin McLean   Subs not used: Jake Hoole, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card :  Jamie Bulpitt

Verwood Town :  Chris Lynch, Dean Evans, James Murray, Russel Dyer (Brad Goddard 59), Liam Donachy, Zac Phelps, Tyler Rutten, Charlie Gajic [c], Jack Swan, Joe Kimber (Jordan FIsk 45), Aaron Atkinson   Subs not used: Max Brimson

Yellow Card :

Attendance : 72

Man of the Match : Barry Mason

Referee : Jacob Wright  Assistants: Jon Goodman & Paul Hicks

Sholing progressed to the quarter-finals of the Wessex Cup with an excellent win over Verwood.

Team News: Dave Diaper made four changes to the team that played Verwood on Saturday. Pete Castle and Jack Smith dropped out due to illness, so James Davis and Kevin Brewster joined the defence. Owen Roundell replaced the injured Dan Miller and Nick Yeomans came in for suspended skipper Byron Mason.


In a reverse of Saturday’s league fixture, Sholing eased past Verwood thanks to a brilliant first-half display. Alex Sawyer poked the Boatmen ahead in just two minutes. Dan Mason missed a penalty but Kevin Brewster’s corking effort gave his side the cushion they deserved shortly before the half time whistle. Barry Mason's fearsome strike completed the rout and meant that Sholing have now won their last ten home games - and fans at the Silverlake now haven't tasted defeat for 14 matches since Swindon Supermarine won back in August.

Victory also means that Sholing are now in the quarter finals of three competitions; the Wessex Cup, the Hampshire Senior Cup and the Russell Cotes Cup - and the result of this tie was never in doubt from the moment ALEX SAWYER fired the host ahead on 2 minutes. The midfielder made the most of Sholing’s frantic early pressure, getting on the end of Marv McLean’s cross, to work the ball past Chris Lynch at the near post.

James Davis was finding joy from the left-flank. Firstly his overlapping run and cross forced Chris Lynch to punch clear, and moments later the left-back saw his shot from the edge of the box well closed down.

Nick Yeomans was also looking lively, often showing his talent with confident, skilful running on the ball. He almost made it through on goal following a clearance, but a rare poor touch took the chance of a one-on-one away from him.

Dan Mason was also struggling to score. The leagues top scorer found the Pottes ‘keeper in excellent form and was denied by a series of smart saves. Following a corner on 30 minutes, Masons flicked header drifted to an unmarked Owen Roundell at the back post. However the defender unbelievably missed the chance to knock the ball home and Verwood were able to hack the ball away.

Dan Mason was gifted a chance to double Sholing’s lead though. After being played through he was caught by the onrushing Lynch and referee, Jacob Wright, pointed to the spot. Dan Mason stepped up - despite set piece specialist Kevin Brewster being on the pitch - but once again failed to beat the goalkeeper. Lynch smartly dived to the right to deny the striker his 26th goal of the season.

He did however have a hand in Sholing’s second goal. His precise through ball sent McLean into space and the winger fired a low cross across the box towards KEVIN BREWSTER. The right-back then made no mistake, patiently shaping his body and firing a thunderbolt from just inside the area past the helpless Lynch with his first touch.

Brewster was then on hand to clear up a goalmouth scramble and allow the Boatmen to go into half-time in a commanding position. HT 2-0

Verwood returned to the pitch invigorated, with Sholing taking slightly longer to find their rhythm. After an hour neat interplay between Dan Mason and Nick Yeomans almost worked an opening. A tantalising series of keepy-uppy in the area, eventually dropped to Dan Mason in space but Lynch was once again equal to his shot.

It wasn't long before Sholing were out of sight though. BARRY MASON won the ball in midfield and began bearing down on goal. The midfielder passed up the opportunity to square the ball to the supporting McLean and Yeomans, instead firing an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 22 yards for one of the goals of the season.

A Brewster free-kick and Yeomans tireless running continued to keep Lynch busy. With 20 minutes left a corner didn't quite drop for James Davis or Dan Mason, hanging agonisingly in the air and allowing the Potters defenders to get a block in.


McLean was also testing James Murray at left back. After breezing past him, his cross found Yeomans, but the young striker couldn't work his header on target.

It took until the final minute for Verwood to have their second chance of the game. Dean Faithfull did well to clear the danger, but the visitors lack of penetration was stark contrast to the side that Sholing battled to a draw with on Saturday.

Apart from the pace of Aaron Atkinson, Verwood never looked like testing a Boatman side that put in one of their best performances of the season as the Potters finally cracked. FT 3-0

Report by Ollie Harvey

Dave Diaper said after the match : "Well, what a difference from Saturday's performance!  High tempo, kept the ball on the ground, great movement, passion, desire and good work ethic. Now that's the Sholing I know and love, everybody put a shift in. Well done guys."

View from the stands:  Diapes summed it up nicely and as a spectator, it was a thoroughly entertaining game to watch.  Sholing were right at it from the first second to the last and swarmed all over the Verwood, never letting them into the game.  Based upon chances created, we probably deserved a few more goals, but for me, this was our best performance of the season.   Considering the pitch was very heavy and rain slicked it up further at kick-off, the passing & first touch of the Sholing players would have graced a game from a higher division.  And what a goal from Baz, a real thunderbolt!  Great stuff lads.

Next home game is on Saturday 19th against Fareham Town, 3pm 
Last game of 2015 is at home to Folland Sports on Wednesday 30th 7:45pm