Sholing2 1Horndean

Scorers :  Nick Taylor OG 57, Marv McLean 71  /  Ryan Coker 4

Date : Wednesday 18th November 2015 - 7:45pm kick off - Russell Cotes Cup 2nd Round

Sholing : Lee Webber, Owen Roundell, Jack Attrill (Doug Rowe 45), Dean Faithfull, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason [c], Alex Sawyer (Oleg Tkacovs 70), Nick Yeomans (Marv McLean 64), James Davis, Jake Hoole.  Subs not used: Liam Attrill, Ryan Gosney

Yellow Card :  Jake Hoole

Horndean :  Derek Harding, Alex Shephard (Sam Smart 45), Lee Tigwell (Nathan Kirby 45), Sam Hookey, Matt Burt, Nick Tayler, Ryan Thomas, Jack Warren, Dan Hayes, Ian Humble [c], Ryan Coker

Yellow Card : Matt Burt, Ian Humble

Attendance : 85

Man of the Match : Lee Webber

Referee : Peter Lowe  Assistants: Declan Helyer & Michele Iodice

SHOLING were offered a get-out-of-jail-free card as a spectacular own goal helped them come-back against Horndean to win 2-1 in the Russell Cotes Cup.

The Boatmen struggled to create chances in a blustery first half, with the remaining winds of Storm Barney & resolute Horndean defending putting a halt to the teams chances. Horndean - who have lost their previous two meetings with Sholing this term - took an early lead when Ryan Coker smashed the visitors ahead. Playing with the wind in the 2nd half, Sholing improved, but were lucky to get back into the game. Nick Tayler’s 45 yard own-goal brought the teams level before substitute Marv McLean fired in the winner.

Team News : Dave Diaper made 6 changes to Saturday's team, giving Dan Mason, Byron Mason, Kev Brewster & Ryan Gosney a rest.  Meanwhile, Marv McLean & Doug Rowe dropped to the bench to allow some of the youngsters to get a starting place.  A not so young, Lee Webber, was forced to pull on the gloves, as Jordan Brooks got a late call to go in goal for the Reserves, who were also playing tonight.


The game started in line with the league table not the form book, as third placed Horndean raced into an early lead against fourth placed Sholing. An inviting right-wing cross eluded the Boatmens back-line and fell kindly for Ryan Coker. The winger then brought the ball down and rifled his half-volley in off Lee Webbers post.

On 20 minutes, the lively Jake Hoole was caught in a tough challenge, and the fans and reporters in the press box were forced into evasive action. Moments later, the returning Alex Sawyer was almost injured again, as the resulting tussle of a tackle saw Coker appear to hit the Sholing midfielder. The referee appeared to miss the incident among several others on the night.

Horndean continued to dominate and when played in with an early free-kick, Ryan Thomas’ low cross had to be blocked on the line by youngster Jack Attrill. Coker had the chance to double his sides lead, and his mazy run was unlucky not to find the top corner.

The wind had been causing problem for the defenders all half. Lee Tigwell’s set pieces were causing the Boatmen problems and on half an hour he nearly doubled Horndeans lead - his long free kick sailing over the wall and forcing the returning Lee Webber into a smart save, down to his left.

There were signs of fight from the Boatmen though, and when the ball was played to goalkeeper, Derek Harding, there was always the chance to force an error. On two occasions his clearances were blocked at point blank range. James Davis - playing upfront - and Jake Hoole failed to capitalise as the rebounded ball just eluded them. HT 0-1

For the restart, Dave Diaper took off Jack Attrill and brought on Doug Rowe. James Davis slotted in at left back. Sholing were still struggling to get an effort on goal, but in the end, we had Horndean to thank for getting the equaliser. On 57 minutes, just after a Horndean player got a ball to the nether-regions, Nick Tayler, just inside the Sholing half, decided to knock it back to his keeper.  However, he put quite a bit of pace on his backpass and the wind also helped to speed the ball up as it wrong footed Derek Harding on the edge of his area and rolled just inside the far post!  (see video below)

The own goal gave most of the crowd a good laugh, whilst even Nick Tayler had to shrug his shoulders and smirk.  Although I don't think the Horndean manager was smiling.  He had seen his side have control of a game and in a single moment, throw it away.

This gave Sholing the confidence to bring out some of their usual tricks and flicks, but it seemed to completely deflate the visitors and especially Harding, who continued to make a catalogue of errors.

The introduction of Doug Rowe, and subsequently Jamie Davis moving to left-back appeared to be masterstroke, and the latter almost set up Rowe for Sholing's second but the strikers acrobatic attempt failed to make good contact.

It was all Sholing and the 85 fans didn't have to wait much longer for another goal. With 71 minutes gone, MARV MCLEAN, who had only been on the pitch a few minutes, finished off a flowing move, controlling a defence splitting pass from Jamie Bulpitt and dispatching his shot from 8 yards to complete the comeback.

The remainder of the game belonged to Sholing. Barry Mason saw his name in lights - with the keeper stranded, he tried to use the wind to his advantage but his half-way line effort fell wide of the mark.

Horndean ended with a spell of pressure. Sam Smart spurned their best opportunity - when trying to sell Lee Webber with the eyes, the custodian stood tall to claim the shot, and help Sholing scrape past last years Russell Cotes runners-up.  FT 2-1

Report by Ollie Harvey

View from the stands:  I expect Horndean are sick of the sight of Sholing.  In a good season on the pitch for them, they've faced us 3 times and lost each time. With a mind on Saturday's big FA Vase game, a much changed team never got going in the first half, with Horndean's ex-Follands player, Matt Burt, dealing with everything sent into the Horndean half.  Goals certainly do change games and even more so when it's a spectacular & comical own goal.  That clearly gutted Horndean and gave Sholing belief and from that point on, was only going to be one winner.

Boatmen's 8th win in a row and another boost ahead of Saturday's trip to Buckland Athletic. There was further good news just before kick off as leading scorer, Dan Mason, signed a contract as a reward for his excellent season.

Next home game is on Saturday 28th against Team Solent,3pm

Sholing v Horndean from Martin Johnson on Vimeo.

Sholing v Horndean own goal from Martin Johnson on Vimeo.