CowesSports1 1Sholing

Scorers :  Charlie Smeeton 57 (pen)  /  Barry Mason 35

Date : Saturday 5th September 2015 - 3:00pm kick off - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Cowes Sports : Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Jez Conway, Simon Williams (Ben Gregory 82), Aiden Bryan, Oliver Wilson, Tom Scovell (Aiden Sainsbury 89), Nathan Lewis [c], Jordan Browne, Dexter Malin, Charlie Smeeton (Jimmy Wykes 82).  Subs not used: Keelan Sainsbury, Jason Ince

Yellow Card : Aiden Bryan

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Dean Faithful, James Davis, Owen Roundell, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt (Byron Mason 66), Tobi Adekunle, Jack Smith, Dan Mason (Breon Graham 84), Barry Mason [c] (Lukas Sabo 82), Kevin Brewster.  Subs not used: Alex Sawyer, Victor Odeyemi

Yellow Card :  Jamie Bulpitt, Tobi Adekunle

Attendance : 104 (12 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Dan Miller

Referee : Steve Currie  Assistants: Ross Murphy & Andrew Jones


This match had lots of talking points, mainly down to strange applications of the law. Both sets of players vented their frustration throughout the game. Barry Mason took advantage of a defensive error to opening the scoring then in the 57th minute a major talking point to allow the Yachtsmen an equaliser from the penalty spot.

Team News: Lewis Kelly was unavailable along with Jack Shiner and Jordan Brooks, plus the long term injuries to Pete Castle and Dan Dove. Dave Diaper made two changes from the midweek draw at Bemerton, Dean Faithful and Barry Mason replaced injured Byron Mason and Marvin McLean.


Sholing kicked off and played a long ball wide to the right for Tobi Adekunle, who found Kevin Brewster but he hit his 20 yd shot over the bar. The game settled down with very few chances being created then on ten minutes the first question of the day to referee Currie was asked when Dexter Malin’s shot was blocked by Dean Faithful and the Yachtsmen appeal for a penalty, but was declined.

A Kevin Brewster corner found the head of Dan Miller but his effort was cleared and Cowes counter attacked and Owen Roundell won Sholing a goal kick. A Cowes throw in found Tom Scovell who was fouled by James Davis but former Sholing player Charlie Smeeton hit a weak free kick easily collected by Ryan Gosney. Jamie Bulpitt found James Davis but he was denied and the resulting Kevin Brewster corner found Dean Faithful on the far post but he headed the ball down into the ground without hitting the target. Dexter Malin was denied by James Davis and he found Tobi Adekunle and the Sholing attack was stopped when Jack Smith was fouled.

Charlie Smeeton turned Owen Roundell, but Dan Miller's clearance only found Max Draper and his cross back into the box sees Ryan Gosney and Charlie Smeeton collide with Sholing getting the freekick. Gosney was clearly sore from the collision, so Dean Faithful took the kick, as he continued to do so throughout the game. On twenty minutes Dean Faithful set up Dan Mason who went down under the Yachtsmen challenge with the penalty appeals being waved away. At the other end Oliver Wilson hit his shot well over the bar. Charlie Smeeton again set up Oliver Wilson but Jack Smith blocked his effort.

Then on 35 minutes Sholing took the lead. A mistake by Aiden Bryan was seized upon by BARRY MASON who hit a fierce first time shot from 20 yards that whistled past the keeper and into the net.  Sholing nearly doubled their lead from Kevin Brewster’s corner but Jack Smith put his header over the bar. Oliver Wilson hit another shot over the bar and with the game approaching half time Jamie Bulpitt was cautioned for a tackle on halfway. HT 0-1


Cowes came out for the second half looking for an early equaliser. Ryan Gosney still looked uncomfortable kicking and his clearance went straight to Tom Scovell, but he hit his shot wide. Owen Roundell was then penalised and it was again Tom Scovell from thirty yards out but Dean Faithful headed away for a corner.  The home side went closest to scoring when Ryan Gosney punched the ball straight to Tom Scovell who chips it back ove the keeper,  but thankfully Dean Faithful was on hand to head the ball off the line.  

Then on 57 minutes, the controversial moment in the game. Dan Miller was having his shirt pulled by Charlie Smeeton, but still having the strength to nod the ball back to Gosney.  The referee's whistle blows, and to the shock of all (including the Cowes players & supporters), referee Currie points to the penalty spot.  There's a moment of silence as the decision sinks in, but then Sholing protest, with the Referee waving them away and seemingly, not explaining his decision. So it was ex Sholing player Charlie Smeeton who hit his penalty to the left of Gosney, who got his fingers to it, but it was powerful enough to find the corner of the net. 


Five minutes later with Dan Miller in the opposition six yard area back to the goal has his cheeky back heel saved by Hatt. A minute later another talking point as Tobi Adekunle, seemingly having his shirt pulled, goes down under a challenge from Aiden Bryan. The referee blows his whistle but takes an age to make a clear decision. Eventually, the decision was to caution both players and award a free kick to Cowes.

Sholing had yet another penalty appeal turned down when Dan Mason raced through and was brought down from behind down in the area.  However, the referee was back near the half way line, in no position to give it and his assistant didn't appear to see it as a foul.  Sholing made their first change with Jamie Bulpitt being replaced by Byron Mason. The game was becoming very scrappy with frustration clearly shown by both sets of players and a string of stoppages meaning all flow to the game was lost.  Then on 82 minutes there was another lengthy delay when Barry Mason and Simon Williams clashed heads and after treatment both were replaced.  Despite almost 5 minutes of added time, neither side could force a winner.  FT 1-1

Report by Greg Dickson


View from the Stands :  For the second time this week, on reflection, a draw was a fair result... but it was the manner of it that disappointed today.  Cowes Sports played well, with ex-Sholing player Charlie Smeeton causing our defence problems and Tom Scovell pulling the strings in midfield.  However, for all the home side's pressure, you didn't really get the feeling they would score from open play.  In all honesty, the same accusation could be levelled at Sholing as we didn't create as much as we should have.  For once, our set piece delivery was off and the passing could have been a lot better.

Sadly, for everyone involved with Sholing, the second half will be remembered by the decisions that went against us.  I, along with most people in the crowd, was astonished when the ref pointed to the spot.  No Cowes player appealed, it looked like an honest tussle between Dan Miller & Charlie Smeeton, with Dan coming out on top, and heading the ball back to the keeper.  It changed the tone of the game, which had been combative, but then got edgy.  If the ref gave a penalty for that, then the 2 appeals for Sholing afterwards were even stronger.  The first one, Tobi was having his shirt pulled.  The second one, Dan Mason was clipped as ran in on goal.  Sadly for the latter decision, the ref was well behind play and got no help from his assistant.

However, Sholing really shouldn't let games like this swing on a refs decision. It was a great goal by Barry, but we didn't impose ourselves enough from the start.  On a positive note, it was our 5th League game unbeaten. Thanks to the dozen or so Sholing fans who made the trip over to the Island.

Next home game is on Wednesday 9th September against Brockenhurst, 7:45pm