Sholing2 4SwindonSupermarine

Scorers :  Dan Mason 9 & 75  /  Chris Taylor 22, Jacob Davidge 30 & 94, Ashley Edenborough 65

Date : Friday 28th August 2015 - 7:45pm kick off - FA Cup Preliminary Round

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, James Davis, Owen Roundell, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason [c] (Lewis Kelly 70), Jack Smith, Dan Mason, Alex Sawyer (Tobi Adekunle 57), Marv McLean (Breon Graham 79).  Subs Not Used: Tom Hawkins, Victor Odeyemi, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card :

Swindon Supermarine : Matt Bulman, Sam Morris, Kyle Lapham, Joe Shepherd, Ross Adams [c], Ryan O'Hara, Bradley Gray (Oli Bailey 72), Chris Taylor, Luke Hopper (Ashley Edenborough 63), Ryan Stanners (Jake Simpson 83), Jacob Davidge.  Subs Not Used: Connor Walden, Ryan Elliott, Dan Lawrence

Yellow Card :

Attendance : 141

Man of the Match : Jamie Bulpitt

Referee : Mark Greenwood  Assistants:  Bryan Perryman & Iain McGuffog

Sholing went out of the FA Cup at the hands of an impressive Swindon Supermarine side. Despite taking the lead through Dan Mason, the visitors dominated the middle of game and the middle of the pitch, although Sholing did rally late on, a goal in added time killed it.

Team News: Pete Castle was out injured. Byron Mason, Jack Shiner & Dean Faithfull were unavailable.  James Davis played despite getting a nasty cut on his ankle in midweek.  With extra places available on the bench under FA Cup rules, Dave Diaper drafted in three of the Development squad to get a taste of a First team game. Breon Graham, Tom Hawkins & Victor Odeyemi.

Before the game got underway, there was a minute's silence to mark the Shoreham Air Show disaster and in particular, the loss of the two Worthing United players, Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Schilt.

It was an end to end start to the game, with firstly Dan Mason getting in behind the defence, but was ushered to the byline, where his cut back couldn't find a Sholing player. Then the visitors had a good chance when from a defensive clearance, a Supermarine player put it back past Gosney, but Dan Miller was there to mop up & clear.   On 9 minutes, Sholing took the lead when Jamie Bulpitt, fired in a pass to the feet of DAN MASON, who held up his marker, strode forward and hammered it low past the keeper into the far corner.

The vistors went straight back on the offensive and a fierce long range shot was tipped onto the post by Ryan Gosney.  Supermarine equalised on 22 minutes and the Boatmen will be dissappointed in how it was conceded.  A freekick 10 yards outside the penalty area on the right wing was curled in left footed by Chris Taylor and it missed everyone and nestled into the net.   Back came Sholing and a long punt over the top saw Dan Mason in a race with the keeper.  Dan got there first, but his chip over the advancing Matt Bulman went a yard wide.   

Sholing were again annoyed when Supermarine took the lead on the half hour mark.  The ref failed to give a clear foul on the half way line, Sholing appealed loudly, but Swindon quickly swept the ball out to the left wing, where Jacob Davidge had time & space to hammer in clean finish from 18 yards.   Rest of the half was dominated by the visitors who created a couple of half-chances, but couldn't make their dominance count.  HT 1-2

Second half started as the first had left off, in fact, Supermarine were playing even better and a slick combination of passes saw Davidge hit the post.  The visitors then had a spell of 15 minutes of totally dominant football, knocking the ball around with pace & precision that you rarely see in Non-League.  Gray had two efforts well saved by Gosney and then Hopper put it wide with the goal at his mercy.    A rare Sholing attack ended with a freekick met by Dan Miller with a strong header at the far post, but a comfortable save for the keeper.  Back came Swindon and Gosney was keeping them at bay, but finally they got a deserved third when the sub, Ashley Edenborough skipped past a challenge to score with only his third touch.

Dave Diaper made a few changes, bringing on Tobi Adekunle & Lewis Kelly to help out Dan Mason up front. For all of Swindon's great football going forward, you still sensed they weren't as strong in defence.  On 75 minutes, Lewis Kelly released Tobi Adekunle down the left wing, he cut in and squared the ball across the 6 yard box for DAN MASON to bundle it over the line under pressure from a defender and the keeper.

The Boatmen had a bit of belief and the pace of the front 3 were causing Swindon problems.  A couple of freekicks and corners flashed across the penalty area, but despite good late pressure, we couldn't force the keeper into a save.  With everyone pushing forward & Dan Miller moved up front, deep in stoppage time Jacob Davidge was clean through and he chipped the ball over Gosney & into the empty net.  FT 2-4

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)