Hamworthy1 2Sholing

Scorers :  Stefan Penny 59  /  Kevin Brewster 61 (pen), Lewis Kelly 89

Date : Tuesday 25th August 2015 - 7:45pm kick off - Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Hamworthy United : Jason Collins, Billy Walker (Dan Smith 76), Jordan Cole, Dave Legg [c], Sam Davidson, Dan Blackburn, Stefan Penny, Kane Daysh, Patrick Hempster, Brad Hill.  Subs not used: Jack Satterley, Ben Satterley, Dan Hamson, Tom Biles

Yellow Card : Matt Kemble, Dave Legg, Billy Walker, Sam Davidson, Stefan Penny (plus Jack Satterley was red carded after the final whistle)

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Dean Faithfull, James Davis, Pete Castle (Jamie Bulpitt 25), Dan Miller, Kevin Brewster, Tobi Adekunle, Alex Sawyer (Owen Roundell 82), Dan Mason (Lewis Kelly 64), Byron Mason [c], Marv McLean.  Subs not used: Jack Smith, Jack Shiner

Yellow Card : Byron Mason

Attendance : 92 (12 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Kevin Brewster

Referee : Colin Hubbard  Assistants: Alex Rush - Fear & Niall Clinton

Sholing came from behind to snatch a last minute winner in a hard fought match.  Kev Brewster's penalty cancelled out Hamworthy's opener and Lewis Kelly's 89th minute strike gave the Boatmen all three points.

Team News: With Barry Mason unavailable, Tobi Adekunle was handed his first start of the season.

Despite a torrent of rain in the morning and early afternoon, the pitch was passed fit at 4pm and when the game kicked off, there was no surface water visible, apart from in the car park.  It was a gloomy evening, feeling more like November than August and in the first half Sholing attacked the small terraced stand where the Sholing fans stood. 

Before kick-off, a minutes silence was observed in memory of the Shoreham air show tragedy and in particular the two Worthing United players who lost their lives.


The first chance of the game fell to Tobi Adekunle who was released down the right wing, but his attempted clip over the advancing keeper went into the side netting.  Despite more rain falling in the opening few minutes, the pitch held up well, but there was an uneven bounce, so both teams were wary to trust playing it on the deck.   Set pieces were once again, a strong point for the Boatmen and a corner by Kev Brewster was met by the head of Byron, but flashed just wide of the far post.   Sholing were dealt an injury blow on 24 mins when Pete Castle went down with an injury to his hip/thigh.  He was replaced by Jamie Bulpitt, with Dean Faithfull going to centre back and Kev Brewster to right back.

Byron repeated the header from Kev's corner on 26 mins, but again it went wide.  Brewster almost then scored direct from a corner kick, with the keeper beating it out on the line.   Hamworthy were not making much headway against the Boatmen defence and frustration boiled over when one of their players (Matt Kemble) studs up,  went through the back of James Davis.  It looked a straight red, but the Referee just showed a yellow.  If he saw the gash above JD's ankle, he may have regretted that decision.   Dan Mason showed some impressive skill to chest the ball down and connect sweetly with a volley from 20 yards, that was just a yard too high.  HT 0-0



Sholing started brightly after the restart and Kev Brewster's freekick from 25 yards was almost bundled in at the far post.  From the subsequent corner, Kev's inswinger again caused problems, but no Sholing player could connect as it flashed across the 6 yard box.  The Home side finally got into the game and forced Ryan Gosney into a great point blank save from a header on 48 minutes.   The Hammers were upping the tempo and causing Sholing problems, especially their Number 7.  On 51 minutes, a Hamworthy player went through on goal, but his chip over Gosney, also went over the bar. 

A spell of 15 minutes of sustained pressure paid off for Hamworthy, when a low shot by Stefan Penny from the edge of the area, seemed to wickedly deflect up off a Sholing player and although Ryan Gosney got a hand to it, he couldn't stop it going into the roof of the net.   However, Sholing equalised almost directly from the re-start.  Byron Mason received the ball just inside the area with his back to goal and was tripped.  He fell outside the box, but the contact was definitely inside.  The referee consulted his assistant and despite the Hamworthy protests, the penalty was awarded.  KEV BREWSTER sent the keeper the wrong way with a clean connection into the left hand corner.

With the game evenly poised, sadly the referee, Mr Hubbard, decided to take centre stage. Booking a host of players from both sides and taking long time to lecture others as both sets of teams and supporters were getting fed up with the interruptions in play.  Lewis Kelly came on for Dan Mason on 64 mins.   Both teams were pushing for a winner, with Hamworthy probably edging it pressure wise, but not forcing Gosney into serious saves as they flashed some shots across goal and well wide.

The game looked set for a draw, when a Hamworthy defender, surprisingly tried to play the ball out of defence and was pressurised by Jamie Bulpitt, who was able to poke the ball through to LEWIS KELLY to muscle off the defender, out sprint him and then finish with a crisp shot across the keeper for his first goal for the club.  The players & bench celebrated widly on the touchline.  Despite all the Referee induced stoppages in the second half, the official strangely only played 2 minutes over the 90 and Sholing had the victory. FT 1-2

Dave Diaper said after the game : "I thought overall we showed great character in coming back after going behind. Credit to Hamworthy, they worked hard, and as I said to the players before the game, it's a difficult place to pick points up from.  So, to get all 3 was a bonus. We had good opportunities to take the lead in the first half, especially from set pieces, but that said, Ryan made 2 or 3 important saves as well.  Very pleased with the attitude of the players and the win keeps the run going."

"Pete Castle has a thigh problem and it is a bit concerning the amount of injuries he is picking up and I think he will now miss the next few games. James Davis has a bad gash just above his ankle from a tackle that should have reduced Hamworthy to 10 men, but I am hopeful he will make the game on Friday."

View from the stands: Our longest away trip in the league this season (excluding the trips to the Island) and once again we have to remember that most of the lads & coaching staff worked a full day before making their own way down to Dorset.   The game wasn't the best on a difficult surface and with a swirling wind, but the result is all that matters and it was a great feeling to get a last minute winner.  Feels like a long time since we last did that.

Thanks to our supporters for coming down in good numbers to back the team.  Thanks also to Hamworthy United for their hospitality.

Next home game is on Friday against Swindon Supermarine in the FA Cup, 7:45pm