Horndean1 3Sholing

Scorers :  Kirby 75 (pen)   /   Dan Miller 44,  Dan Mason 48, Kevin Brewster 80

Date : Saturday 15th August 2015 - 3:00pm kick off - The Emirates FA Cup Extra preliminary round

Horndean : Lyall Beazley [c], Louie Martin (Lee Tiggwell 54), Jack MacFarlane, Robbie Pittman, Dan Ayres, Dan Hayes, Gavin Spurway (Alfie Smith 81), Gary Austin, Nathan Paxton, Nathan Kirby, Robbie Tabling (Mark Smith 55). Unused Subs: Joshua Maddison, Gary Luff, Liam Bradbury, Louie Bell

Yellow Card : Jack MacFarlane

Sholing : Ryan Gosney, Jack Shiner (Owen Roundell 62), Jack Smith, Dean Faithfull, Dan Miller, Kevin Brewster, Barry Mason [c], Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason (Lewis Kelly 68), Jamie Bulpitt (Tobi Adekunle 88), Marv McLean.  Unused Subs : James Davis, Jordan Brooks

Yellow Card :  Dean Faithfull, Marv McLean

Attendance : 80 (approx 25 Sholing fans)

Man of the Match : Jamie Bulpitt

Referee : Stephen Graham  Assistants:  John Harvey & Jack Darling

Sholing picked up our first victory of the season and progressed into the next round of the FA Cup with a battling win at Horndean.  Dan Miller headed the first goal just before the break and the lead was doubled soon after the re-start by Dan Mason.  Horndean thought they were back in it with a penalty, but Kev Brewster wrapped up the win with 10 minutes remaining.

Team News : Alex Sawyer returned from injury, but Byron Mason missed out via a hip injury. Jack Shiner came in as right back with Jack Smith going to left back.  Kev Brewster went into midfield.  Pete Castle was away, so Dean Faithfull partnered Dan Miller at the back. Barry Mason took the captain's armband.

Sholing won the toss and Barry Mason elected to kick up the slope in the first half with Horndean getting the game underway. The early exchanges resulted in a long ball from Dan Miller just eluding Marvin McLean on the left wing. Then a long ball over the Sholing defence saw them appeal for an offside not given but Ryan Gosney was quick off the mark to clear upfield and Dan Mason just failed to connect. Sholing continued to press up the slope, but Alex Sawyer was muscled off the ball and it ran loose to Jack Smith who shot and a loud appeal for a corner only resulted in the referee giving a goal kick. From Lyall Beazley’s goal kick the ball was misjudged by Dean Faithfull allowing Nathan Paxton to shoot wide. On seven minutes Horndean again had the goal at their mercy when Ryan Gosney’s punch falls to Robbie Pittman who found Gavin Spurway but he shot weakly allowing Ryan Gosney to claim the ball. Another early scare for Sholing, saw Gavin Spurway collect the ball and square but Gary Austin fails to connect as he slid in and the ball goes out for a goal kick.

The Boatmen went on the attack with a move between Barry Mason, Alex Sawyer and Dan Mason ending with Alex Sawyer’s shot being deflected for a corner. Kevin Brewster took the corner and found the head of Dan Miller but he put his header wide. On 22 minutes Kevin Brewster picks out Jack Shiner whose cross is volleyed wide by skipper Barry Mason. Three minutes later Kevin Brewster turned sinner when his poor ball was intercepted by Gary Austin and his shot was saved by Ryan Gosney at the foot of his left hand upright. A Kevin Brewster free kick on 31 minutes found the head of Dan Miller but his effort was blocked and the ball fell for Dan Mason but his shot was charged down for another corner. Marvin McLean wins another corner but Horndean counter attack and Robbie Tambling’s effort was again thwarted by Ryan Gosney keeping the score deadlocked.

On 35 minutes the Sholing defence stopped waiting for an offside flag allowing Robbie Tambling to pick out Gavin Spurway but with the goal at his mercy he spurned his chance and sliced the ball wide. With half time looming, Sholing were award a free kick over on the left side of the area. Kevin Brewster put over a deep cross to the far post where DAN MILLER met the cross with a header putting the ball in the net from a yard out and colliding with the post in the process.  HT 0-1

With just 3 minutes of the second half played, Sholing double their lead.  Dean Faithful challenges for the ball and it came off his shoulder and falls to Jamie Bulpitt who with space to move into and the Horndean defence backpeddling, breaks forward and slides a perfect pass into the feet of DAN MASON who takes a touch to draw the keeper, before slotting it past him into the empty net.

For the first time in the match, one side takes control of the game and with a two goal lead, its Sholing who are able to relax a bit, play some football as Horndean struggle to get forward. On 62 minutes the Boatmen make their first substitution with Jack Shiner making way for Owen Roundell at right back. Dan Mason is winded in a challenge with Dan Ayres and as physio Tasha Bowers enters the field of play the Ultras go in to song wishing Tasha a ‘Happy Birthday’ much to the amusement of the Horndean supporters. Dan stays on the touchline to see if he can continue but Lewis Kelly is introduced to replace him on 68 minutes.

With 15 minutes left, Horndean gets a lifeline back into the game when Dean Faithfull body checks Nathan Paxton off the ball resulting in referee Graham pointing the spot & producing the first yellow card of the afternoon. As Nathan Kirby is about to step up to take the spot kick referee Graham prevents the kick from being taken and produces a second yellow this time shown to Marvin McLean for dissent. After a delay of three minutes Nathan Kirby’s spot kick reduces the arrears. Horndean now up their tempo to chase for the equaliser.

However, with 10 minutes left on the clock, Sholing seal Horndean’s fate when Lewis Kelly wins the ball on the right and gets down the byline, but is penned in near the corner flag & Horndean gain possession. However the defender hesitates to clear and Marv McLean is able to rob him on the edge of the area and rolls the ball into the path of the unmarked KEVIN BREWSTER, who strokes the ball home from 12 yards.

With just two minutes left Sholing get the chance to hit four when Jack Smith works the ball into Kevin Brewster and interplay between him and Lewis Kelly results in Kevin Brewster finding Barry Mason on the angle but his first time shot goes just inches wide of the upright. On ninety minutes Sholing make their final change with the tireless Jamie Bulpitt being replaced by Tobi Adekunle to see out the clock. A slip two minutes later by Dean Faithfull looked to have given a chance to Horndean with the ball going goalwards, Owen Roundell got back to hook the ball off the line and punched the air as thou he had scored a goal. Four minutes of stoppage time saw Horndean’s frustration result in a caution for Jack MacFarlane as he hacked down Tobi Adekunle as he bore down on goal.  FT 1-3

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)