Scorers : Griffin 41, Webb 46, Davidson 68

Date : Tuesday 19th August 2014 - 7:45pm kick off - Southern League South & West

Wimborne Town :Harvell, Arnold, Maybury, Oliver, Biles, Blake (Costello 80), Griffin, Wilson, Webb, Kemble (Gamble 85), Stokoe (Davidson 68). Subs not used: Brimson, Powell.

Sholing : Brown, Manders, Bada (Cox 72), Mott, Miller, Brewster (Watts 52), McLean, Byron Mason, Lynch (Hamilton 53), Dan Mason, Sawyer. Subs Not Used : Nwachukuwu, Crisp

Yellow Cards: Byron Mason, Mott

Ultras Man of the Match : Nick Watts

Referee :Gary Parsons. Assistants : Iain Bardsley, Michael Ballard

Attendance : 137

Match Report Sponsored by :  bsaregallogo

A lacklustre Sholing side were well beaten by the Magpies as we succumbed to our first defeat of the season in the most disappointing of fashions.

The Boatmen were without the injured Barry Mason, Sam Olaofe, Jack Smith, Lewis Fennemore & Alex Baldacchino, whilst TJ Cuthbertson was unavailable. The absence of six first team players would be a challenge to most teams, but Sholing were still able to field a pretty strong side which included Michael Bada making his debut at left back.

Backed by around 30+ travelling fans, Sholing had the first opportunity of the game when Dan Mason broke clear, but with Marv unmarked to his right, he decided to burst into the area on his own and was dispossessed.  The game was scrappy from both sides, with neither able to put their foot on the ball and retain possession.  In a fleeting moment of passing football, Marv Mclean cut in from the left wing to tee up Kevin Brewster, but his 25 yard shot was comfortably saved. It looked as though the first half would be a stalemate, but Wimborne took the lead in controversial fashion. Some hesitation in the Sholing defence saw keeper, Matt Brown come rushing out to claim the ball at the same time the Wimborne forward went in two footed, it looked a foul, but the ball came away from Brown and Griffin had the simple job of lifting the ball over the stricken keeper & into the net.  Furious captain, Byron Mason, was booked for having a frank exchange of views with the referee about the validity of the challenge on Browner.  HT 1-0

After a poor first half, Sholing wanted to start the second half strongly... but those plans were out the window inside 30 seconds as sloppy defending down the right side allowed a cross to be turned in by Webb.  Wimborne were flying now, winning every tackle and with extra pace in their legs gained from the confidence of a two goal lead.  With the Boatmen's midfield offering little protection to the defence & our forwards unable to hold the ball up, our back four were exposed and overworked. Wimborne had more shots on goal, including a long range volley that skimmed the far post.  Sholing bought on Watts & Hamilton for Brewster & Lynch, but Wimborne were hungry for another goal and got it on 68 minutes following a foul by Stuart Mott, who picked up a booking.  From the resultant freekick just outside the area, the ball was tapped sideways to substitute Davidson, who fired it low and hard inside the near post.  With the game lost, Sholing did finally force the Wimborne keeper into some action, mainly due to the Nick Watts, who injected some much needed pace & intent into our game. Wattsie had a shot well saved, before Alex Sawyer first saw a curling freekick beaten away and then a goalbound shot cleared off the line. FT 3-0

Easy to use the missing players as an excuse, but that doesn't hide the fact that Wimborne were superior to Sholing in every department tonight and thoroughly deserved the three points. Extremely rare for a Sholing side to lack passion, so hopefully this will be a one-off and we can learn from this result as we go into a tough weekend facing early League Leaders, Yate Town at the Silverlake Arena on Saturday, before the local derby on Bank Holiday Monday at AFC Totton (both 3pm kick offs).

Photos  (Click a Thumbnail to Enlarge)