Shortwood United 0-0 Sholing

Scorers : 

Date : Saturday 9th August 2014 - 3:00pm kick off - Southern League South & West

Shortwood United : King, Rawlings, Bennett, Thomas, Lee, Price (Langworthy 73), Haddock, Singh (Sommers 34), Morford (Culley 65), Humphreys. Subs not used : Snook, John

Sholing : Brown, Fennemore, Smith, Mott, Cuthbertson, Brewster, Byron Mason (c), Barry Mason (Hamilton 80), Sawyer, Baldacchino (Dan Mason 71), Watts (Nwachukwu 77). Subs Not used : Cox, PJ McLean

Ultras Man of the Match : Matt Brown

Dave Fear's Man of the Match : Kevin Brewster

Referee :Stacey Woodley (Tidworth). Assistants : John Graham (Swindon) Andrew Hitchcox (Swindon)

Attendance : 87

Match Report Sponsored by :  dansach-logo

Sholing lined up with only four starters from their FA Vase victory at Wembley notable absentee was goal hero Marvin McLean who was getting a run out with the reserves. Lewis Fennemore was given a new role at right back with Kevin Brewster slotting into midfield.

Shortwood started lively and gained the first free kick. On 6 mins Sholing had their first clear chance when Jack Smith’s throw in from the left found Barry Mason with his back to goal swivelled and his shot deflected off the defender for a corner. Kevin Brewster corner was easily collect by goalkeeper King. 4 minutes later Barry Mason was fouled on the edge of the 18 yd box, Kevin Brewster chipped the free kick just over the bar. Shortwood full back Matt Bennett was getting the better of Lewis Fennemore early on resulting in Shortwood getting two quick corners. Again a deep cross on 18 minutes was headed goalwards but cleared by TJ Cuthbertson. Matt Bennett once again got forward and his low shot was safely gathered by Matt Brown. 

The Boatmen regrouped and Nick Watts started to open up the Shortwood midfield. TJ got clear but his cross was just over the head of Byron Mason. Byron then turned provider for Nick Watts who from 30 yds just shot wide. Lewis Fennemore was getting frustrated penalised by the referee in quick succession the resulting free kick was forced away by Byron Mason and the Shortwood corner was headed over the bar. On 34 minutes Shortwood made their first substitution bring on 6’ 4” Lewis Sommers replacing centre forward James Singh. 

Byron Mason was put clear on 38 mins goalkeeper Tom King challenged for the ball inside the area Byron Mason was left needing treatment while the ball went out for a throw in. Byron returned to the fray and on 44 mins Alex Baldacchino holds the ball up but Byron puts his shot just over the bar.  HT 0-0

No changes at half time Alex Sawyer was penalized on 50 mins and a Nick Hancock shot was palmed away by Matt Brown for a corner. Then 3 mins later Alex Sawyer turned goal poacher when his shot was saved by Tom King. Shortwood were bringing the game to Sholing and Lewis Fennemore cleared the ball for a corner. Shortwood showed their positivity when on 63 mins they replaced striker Will Morford with fellow striker Duncan Culley. On 70 mins Sholing got forward and forced another corner for Kevin Brewster but failed to capitalise on this.
On 71 mins Shortwood made their final substitution Adam Price being replaced by Ross Langworthy. Mick Marsh likewise made his first substitution with Dan Mason replacing Alex Baldacchino. 6 mins later Mick Marsh introduced Jude Nwachukwu in place of Nick Watts.
Sholing were indebted to Kevin Brewster’s headed clearance off the line with Matt Brown beaten on 78 mins. Final throw of the dice for the Boatmen with Braiden Hamilton replaced Barry Mason with 10 mins remaining. Both sides saw an opportunity to take all 3 points and on 83 mins we won a free kick on the right but Kevin Brewster kick was cleared to safety. With 5 mins remaining a slip by Jack Smith let in the Shortwood striker who one-on-one with Matt Brown, shot wide. On 87 mins Shortwood were awarded a free kick which was punched clear by Matt Brown which then saw a shot from 35 yds again punched clear for a throw in. Both sides saw the match out for a point and on reflection was probably a fair result for the opening game of the season.  FT 0-0  (Report by Greg Dickson)
Dave Fear said after the game: "We did very well considering we’ve had a year out and a lot of the players haven’t played Southern League football before, so Marshy and I were very pleased. It was quite an even game with both sides dominating for five to ten-minute spells.  Shortwood are a good side with good movement who will get more points than they lose. It was a good team performance. Not everyone was at their 100 per cent best, but that happens. Everyone was looking for us to take a fall, but not today!  It was a solid start and it’s pleasing to get a point on the board with a decent performance. We couldn’t ask for more really.” 

Photos by Greg Dickson & Diane Bruce (click a thumbnail to enlarge)

Today's other results : Southern League South & West

Shortwood United Match Report

Daily Echo Report