Scorers : Barry Mason 37

Date : Saturday 7th February 2015 - 2:30pm kick off - Evo-stik League Southern, South & West Division 1

Clevedon Town : Kane Mannings, Kye Thomas, Aron Robbins, Kaine Gazzard, Jamie Adams, Kye Mountford [c], Liam McCaughey (Conor O'Sullivan 82), Joe Swift, Lewis Hedges (Roger Lee 34), Ben Bament, Tim Parker (Troy Budd 79)

Yellow Card :

Sholing : Matt Brown, TJ Cuthbertson, Liam Golding, Mike Byrne, Dan Miller, Jack Smith, Nick Watts, Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason, Barry Mason [c], Marv McLean.  Subs not used: Kevin Brewster, Jess Walklin, Tobi Adekunle, Pete Castle, Byron Mason

Yellow Card : 

Attendance : 82

Man of the Match :  Alex Sawyer

Referee :  Andrew Turner.  Assistants: Richard Lawrence & Graeme Martin

Boatmen picked up our second win in a row and our second away win of the season in a game we dominated for 89 minutes.

Team news: Matt Brown returned in goal.  Byron Mason & Pete Castle were not risked from the start and were on the bench.  With Dave Diaper away celebrating his Wedding Anniversary (Congrats Mr & Mrs Diapes!), Stu Hussey took charge.

The game kicked off at 2:30 at Clevedon's request following some recent issues with their floodlights.  Strange how only 30 minutes difference can really throw out your pre-match routine.  When we arrived at the ground, kick off seemed ages away and then all of a sudden it was upon us.  The game got underway under grey skies with a biting cold wind blowing across the ground.

Sholing players weren't put off by the kick off change and were immediately on the front foot, winning three corners in quick succession in the first five minutes.  From the third, Dan Miller towered above everyone, but his header was straight at the keeper.  The Boatmen were showing good movement down the wings with Dan Mason holding up the ball, laying it off and midfielders running into the space behind.  It was from a move like this that Alex Sawyer burst through and just nipped in ahead of the keeper to toe the ball past him, but stretching under pressure, his effort bobbled towards the goal, but was easily cleared for a corner.

Matt Brown was a virtual spectator for the first half hour as the home side struggled to create anything as Sholing continue to dominate, as they were encouraged to play the ball around by Stu Hussey on the touchline... and on 37 minutes it worked.  Another give and go move down the right wing saw BARRY MASON in space on the right edge of the area and his firm cross (come shot) was knocked into his own net by the Clevedon defender with both Dan and Marv behind him about to tap home.

Sholing continue to push the home side back into their defensive third for the rest of the first half.  The best chance created saw a cross by Nick Watts hit first time by Alex Sawyer from about 12 yards out, but straight down the keeper's throat.  HT 0-1

The second half started as the first half had finished, with Sholing knocking the ball around with confidence, mopping up any rare attacks by Clevedon and creating some good chances to extend our lead.  The only thing lacking from our good play was an end product.  Twice more good goal scoring opportunities ended with shots straight at the keeper with the rest of the goal at our mercy.  Clevedon were playing a dangerous game playing a high line and both Alex Sawyer & Marv McLean put the ball in the back of the net only for it to be flagged offside.   Barry Mason had an effort bundled off the line and from the subsequent corner, Mike Byrne headed inches wide.  

Dan Mason, who was showing good strength to hold the ball up, created a chance for himself by skillfully teeing up a shot, but sadly he dragged it wide.  The Sholing defence were coping easily at this stage, with Dan Miller winning everything in the air, assisted by Byrno, TJ showing his pace on the right and an impressive performance by Liam Golding at left back.  Like everyone associated with Sholing, they were hoping those in front of them would kill this game off by getting a second, but as the game ticked down the final minutes, it just wouldn't come.  The home side felt they were very much still in this and almost stole a point in added on time.  Firstly a slow looping shot was just flicked onto the post by Matt Brown, who then had to get down at the base of the upright to scoop the ball out of play.  From the corner, the ball found a Clevedon player on the edge of the box and his left foot shot skimmed the top of the bar.  From a game we were totally in control of, it was suddenly a bit frantic, not helped by about 5 minutes of added time from no-where.  However, the final whistle blew and the lads got the three points that their good play and hard work deserved.  FT 0-1

Next up is a home game on Tuesday against local rivals Folland Sports in the Russell Cotes Cup, 7:45pm ko.  Adults £5, Concessions £3, U16's £1, U12's Free.

Many thanks to Clevedon Town for their hospitality and good luck for the rest of the season