Scorers :  Barry Mason 73  /  James Stokoe 10 & 58,  Mark Gamble 63

Date : Saturday 10th January 2015 - 3:00pm kick off - Evo-Stik League Southern, South & West

Sholing : Lee Webber, Kevin Brewster, Liam Golding, TJ Cuthbertson, Dan Miller, Jess Walklin (Josh Oxlade 72), Nick Watts, Jack Smith, Dan Mason (Macaully Smith 64), Barry Mason [c], Coby Wilson (Declan McCarthy 72)  Unused subs: Matt Fredericks, Owen Roundell

Yellow Card :  TJ Cuthbertson 7

Wimborne Town: Jason Harvell, Scott Arnold [c], Ian Oliver, Adam Costello, James Stokoe, Louis Kellaway, Sam Griffin (Matt Kemble 81), Jamie Davidson (Jack Lupton 90), Anthony Walters, Mark Gamble (Chris Wilcox 90), Billy Maybury – Unused subs – Paul Roast, Tom Biles.

Yellow Card :  Billy Maybury 76

Attendance : 164

Man of the Match :  Dan Miller

Referee :  Marcus Carmichael   Assistants: Adrian Knight & Paul Maxwell

A further weakened Sholing side without Byron Mason, were quite literally blown away by Wimborne in a wind affected game. With the Boatmen waving goodbye to Sam Wilson, it was the other striking Wilson, Coby making his Southern League debut. But a whole host of things didn’t go Sholing’s way in front of a good turnout at the Silverlake Arena.  It was the Boatmen's 5th game in 14 days.

The blue shirts of Wimborne got the game underway, and only a minute in captain Barry Mason forced the first corner of the game, which was turned away despite Dan Miller half controlling the second ball. TJ Cuthbertson got the first booking of the game after putting in a crunching tackle on Jamie Davidson right in front of the seating stand.

Wimborne had been quiet right up until the 10th minute when James Stokoe tapped home a gift of a goal to give the away side the lead. Jamie Davidson saw his strike after a corner blocked on the line by one of the many Sholing players crowding the area, but the ball wasn’t dealt with and Stokoe was the quickest to react a prod home from a yard out.

The game quietened down after the goal with both teams getting forward, but neither were able to make anything clear cut. Wimborne had the ball in the net again but Jamie Davidson was judged to be offside by the linesman, much to the Boatmen’s relief. A few minutes later the flag came to Sholing’s rescue again scuppering Mark Gambles hopes of being 1 on 1 with Lee Webber.

Sholing would have had many more opportunities had it not been for some very sloppy passing, all over the field mistakes were being made by the home team, and as the wind blew on possession continued to change hands. Nick Watts was looking like Sholings’s biggest threat, and on 35 minutes he carefully made his way towards the middle of the pitch from his right hand side, but when he pulled the trigger the angle was obtuse and the scuffed effort rolled into the arms of the as yet untroubled Jason Harvell.

Sholing continued to be their own worst enemies, a breakdown in communication saw 2 Sholing defenders collide with each other during a Wimborne counter attack which left the door open for away side to double their lead, and that would have been the case had they done better. Then on the return attack Dan Mason had several opportunities to put the ball past the open keeper, but he took too many touches and was eventually mugged of the ball by a Wimborne defender. HT 0-1

The first action of the second half came some 6 minutes in, Dan Mason won the ball off an unbalanced Wimborne player and set off brother Barry, who found Nick Watts in space on the right, Watts forced a corner. The corner saw Coby Wilson have his first real effort, a curling effort from outside the area that sailed wide but had the keeper worried.

Wimborne didn’t need to be especially good to beat Sholing today, and the victory looked set on 57 minutes when big Wimborne number 5 James Stokoe played an intricate passing move into the Sholing area before easily rolling the ball past Lee Webber for his second of the game. Lee Webber then performed a miracle to stop a third, James Stokoe, who was putting on a real show, found Mark Gamble who was shocked to see Webber claw out his effort. Gamble was not to be beaten though and a few seconds later he was firing his side into a 3-0 lead via the crossbar from point blank range.

Josh Oxlade came off the bench for his first team debut, also coming on was Declan McCarthy. Barry Mason had by far and away Sholing’s best chance when a pinpoint long ball found his head, but from a yard out he missed. Thankfully a few minutes later BARRY MASON found the back of the net with what looked like a more difficult header from a Brewster corner. With all of Sholing’s faults today it really was a sublime header.

The final 10 minutes were a mix of empty appeals, missed chances and heroic defending. Sholing seemed to settle into the game better in the final 10, but it was proven to be too little too late as Wimborne continued to power through and eventually ran out with all 3 points deservedly.  Dave Diaper will be hoping the lack of a midweek game will allow some players a deserved rest & also mean some injured first teamers will return next Saturday at home to Shortwood Utd. FT 1-3

Official Sholing FC report by Ollie Maskell

Photos by Ray Routledge (click an image to enlarge)